wirless prineter

kopi

I am trying to install wireless printer(Brother DCP-J315W), but it only works if I plug my internet connection into router. But if I do that my internet doesn't work, so I am trying to connect printer without router. Can I do that?

kopi

I install now printer by "ad hoc" method, printer says the connection is good, but the computer says the printer is offline, no matter what I try. Can you please tell me what can I do?

Geoff

VIP Member
Sounds like you are connecting directly to your printer, which means you aren't on the internet anymore. What you want to do is connect your printer to your existing wireless network, just like you would if it was a laptop or tablet.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
So let's confirm some things.

You have a wired or wireless router.
You wish to connect it to your network wired/wirelessly.

Let's make sure you can do that and that's what you want first before proceeding.

Geoff

VIP Member
Yes, and how do I do that? I do not own laptop so I am not familiar with that much.
As voyager asked, do you even have a wireless network? If so, go on your printer and somewhere in the setup/menu there should be a spot to connect to a wireless network.

kopi

I did do that, printer even print page where it says it the connection is, but the computer says prineter is ofline?

Geoff

VIP Member
I did do that, printer even print page where it says it the connection is, but the computer says prineter is ofline?
So from the start. Lets say your wireless network has a name of "Smith Home". You want to be sure that your computer(s) are connected either to the "Smith Home" wireless network, or plugged directly into the wireless router. Next, you want to make sure your printer is configured to connect to "Smith Home", and not configured so you connect your laptop to "Brother J315W Printer". Once your computer and printer are on the same network, on your computer go to control panel > printers > add printer > choose network, and it will browse your network and find your printer.

I have a feeling either your printer is not connected to your wireless network, or you added the printer to your computer before you connected it to your home network (you mention connecting via adhoc to it, which is not what you want in this case), but if you did that prior then it will show up as offline until you re-add it.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Use the printer install cd to install the printer. Some printers will have you use a usb csble to install it but tell the installer that you want to use it wireless.

kopi

I already used the CD. As I said, I already try with router and everything worked. And it was wirelessly. But I would like now to do without router. I try to install with CD a couple of times, installation works, but it always say printer is offline. Is there any way I can see where exactly the disturbance is?

voyagerfan99

Staff member
.... You need the router in the equation in order to print wordlessly to the printer.

Determine the ip of the printer and manually enter it as a network printer connecting through a tcp/ip port.

Geoff

VIP Member
I already used the CD. As I said, I already try with router and everything worked. And it was wirelessly. But I would like now to do without router. I try to install with CD a couple of times, installation works, but it always say printer is offline. Is there any way I can see where exactly the disturbance is?
In order to use a wireless printer you need to connect to it wirelessly. Some wireless printers do have an ethernet and/or USB connection however, so that's another option.

Why exactly did you get a wireless printer if you don't want it to be on your network?

kopi

About I need to use router for sure I do not agree. Here is video(for other printer but nevertheless) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlFd9ahAE68
Butt I cannot even look at Network Map in Windows 8. Where can I see(like in video at the end) in Windows 8 to my internet features?(in such detail so that I can see to what I am connected)

voyagerfan99

Staff member
That's an HP printer. It's an HP feature (a friend of mine uses it with her HP printer). Your Brother printer doesn't do that.

Geoff

VIP Member
About I need to use router for sure I do not agree. Here is video(for other printer but nevertheless) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlFd9ahAE68
Butt I cannot even look at Network Map in Windows 8. Where can I see(like in video at the end) in Windows 8 to my internet features?(in such detail so that I can see to what I am connected)
That's what I thought you already tried. If you connect directly to the printer wirelessly like in that video, you can't be connected to your home wireless network either, so you won't be able to browse the internet until you switch back over.