Won't Boot - BIOS not working?

Ray19

I have acquired a computer that was built by my deceased brother using a custom purchased motherboard. In the past it always booted O.K. displayng the features of the BIOS program on the monitor as it progressed and then going on to load the operating system Windows XP. However, recently it will not boot with the BIOS program displaying only momentarily then displaying the error message "PXE:E61 Media Test Failure. Check cable." Then, the message "Exiting PXE ROM." I have checked all the cables which seem O.K. I must add that I have two teenagers who have been using this computer? It is possible that something was changed unbeknowest to me??

But, I'm now dead in the water since the operating system does not load.

Can anyone advise me of how to proceed to correct the problem?

Thanks, in advance, for any help provided.
Ray19

zer0_c00l

your boot media is your harddrive check the cables make sure they are hooked up i would also try clearing the cmos.... just pull the battery out of the motherboard for about a min then put back in ..... if all of the above don't work it might be a bad harddrive... please post back progress

Ray19

zer0_c00l

Thanks for your reply zer0_c00l.
I am a dangerous novice at hardware and some software problems. I really don't understand the BIOS program or its function. In the past when it was working I could see the BIOS running through its routine; then there was a pause as the screen went blank for a second or two; and then my Windows XP began loading. Now, the BIOS program starts and immediately stops displaying the error message of my previous communication - and, that's itI

Tomorrow I'm going to follow your recommendations and check the system out as far as possible. I'm going to check the cables thoroughly. Then I'm going to attempt to find the battery on the Motherboard (I didn't realize there was a battery?) and remove and reinstall it. One other thing -- if I remove the internal hard drive (new 250 GB Seagate) and reinstall it in an external drive case and it can be accessed using another computer could I assume my problem is not related to my hard drive?

I will keep you informed of my progress. I would appreciate if you could find the time to stay with me in my attempt to correct, or at least diagnose the problem. Thanks for your help to date.
Ray19

EricH

Just to add, removing your HD, placing it inside an external enclosure and being able to access it's files does NOT mean that it can properly boot, because you are not booting the other computer with that drive in that configuration.

Ray19

Additional Information

Thanks for inputs. Please see this additional information -
Monitor screen is as follows when it stops:
"PCI Device Listing

At the top of the items checked before quitting is the listing
Item 11 Network Controller IRQ 10

Verifying DMI Pool Data -

For Realtek RTC 8139 (A/B/C) / RTL 8130 PCI Fast Ethernet Controller V2.1/(0001205)Fast Ethernet Controller V2 / (001205)

PXE -E61 Media Test Failure , Check Cable
PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE/ROM
Boot from ATAP1 CD-ROM
Boot from ATAP1 CD-ROM "

and that's as far as it goes. From here I have to turn the power off to the computer shutting it down.
Is it telling me that my ethernet board may be bad, even if I'm not connected to the internet? If so, can I prove it by removing the ethernet board and then trying to boot it without the board installed?

Any advice at all would be appreciated.
Ray19

Michael

Thanks for inputs. Please see this additional information -
Monitor screen is as follows when it stops:
"PCI Device Listing

At the top of the items checked before quitting is the listing
Item 11 Network Controller IRQ 10

Verifying DMI Pool Data -

For Realtek RTC 8139 (A/B/C) / RTL 8130 PCI Fast Ethernet Controller V2.1/(0001205)Fast Ethernet Controller V2 / (001205)

PXE -E61 Media Test Failure , Check Cable
PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE/ROM
Boot from ATAP1 CD-ROM
Boot from ATAP1 CD-ROM "

and that's as far as it goes. From here I have to turn the power off to the computer shutting it down.
Is it telling me that my ethernet board may be bad, even if I'm not connected to the internet? If so, can I prove it by removing the ethernet board and then trying to boot it without the board installed?

Any advice at all would be appreciated.
Ray19

Sounds, to me, like your hard drive is bad or the cable going to your hard drive has become loose or detached , and your BIOS is defaulting to 'boot from CD-ROM'.

Someone else will have a solution for you, I'm just giving my input regarding the problem.

-Michael

Ray19

Situation Solved

Thanks for all inputs received. Yes - it was a bad Hard Drive that wouldn't boot the operating system. I installled my old 40G hard drive and it worked. I purchased this new 250 G Seagate HD on Nov. 1. It was difficult to believe that it could go bad in such a short time! But it obviously did! What ever became of quality cointrol for our electronics components? Thanks to all who helped isolate my problem.
ray19

Michael

Thanks for all inputs received. Yes - it was a bad Hard Drive that wouldn't boot the operating system. I installled my old 40G hard drive and it worked. I purchased this new 250 G Seagate HD on Nov. 1. It was difficult to believe that it could go bad in such a short time! But it obviously did! What ever became of quality cointrol for our electronics components? Thanks to all who helped isolate my problem.
ray19

Glad to help :)

-Michael

RedTECH

Using more than one hardrive also considered your power supply because it may takes problem if your system not to boot properly or get stuck on loading.