Wont boot past motherboard screen

DeafBoyzAudio

Hey everyone,
First time posting here and I hope I can get some help with this problem I have. I am starting a online website right now and not having my desktop working is really cramping my style.

My setup is:

dual boot w/ Windows vista ultimate 64 bit with most recent S.P. and x.p.
asus motherboard, dont have exact type with me
amd processor 2.6 ghz (was overclocked to 3.2) w/ big ol' cooling fan and fins
W.D. 500 gb hard drive
2 x 2gb gskill ddr2 memory
very beefy power supply and lots of fans

All of a sudden my computer wont start... first time is happened it showed the american megatrends black screen with white writing, it said "overclocking failed, press f10 to restore factory defaults..." i waited a while and nothing happened so i pressed f10...

then it went to the motherboard screen, stays there. Tried rebooting screen and still goes no farther than motherboard screen.

Tried unplugging and pulling lil battery and holding down power for 30 secs then restarting... still stuck on motherboard screen....

i cant get into the bios...

tried a friends harddrive in place of mine, still same problem (think he had xp on it, not sure if it matters)

This was a buiilt computer and I put together the easy stuff and took it to a shop to get it overclocked, that shop is now out of business for my convenience.. haha It is a dual boot machine and does not get to the os selection screen.

Dont have much knowledge about ts computers and dont have the money to fork out for a shop so thought I would join the community!!!

any ideas?

thanks in advance....

Lax

VIP Member
Are you able to get into the BIOS at all or does the option not even appear (assuming motherboard screen doesn't mean BIOS)?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You will have to remove the overclock for now. To do this, reset the cmos by removing power from the power supply, remove the cmos battery from the motherboard, press the power button on the case a few times to dishcharge any remaining power. Then wait 5 minutes, then reinsert battery and reattach power to psu and try booting up.

Lax

VIP Member
It seems both our questions were already tried John, have you tried hitting Esc or Tab to see if it will display the POST info (assuming by mobo screen you mean the ASUS logo)?

DeafBoyzAudio

sorry it took so long to get back on here, i was expecting a email when i got replies... I will try this as soon as I get home and post right away with more info

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
In order to get emails when users reply to one of your threads or replies, you need to subscribe to the thread. You can do that if you look at the bottom of the page when you reply, it will say thread subscription. Choose whether you want instant emails or daily or weekly. Or you can change the default setting in your user cp settings.

DeafBoyzAudio

ok thanks john i got it subscribed now, replies should be quicker! i cant get into the bios and by motherboard screen i mean the one where it says asus and the motherboard model.

tab and esc don't work and I cant hit delete to get into bios either

So i left it on the MB screen for about 5 minutes and It went to the american megatrends logo, flashed a scroll of a bunch of dos looking text and went to the OS selection screen (for dual boot)

at the top it said something about there was an error in windows and to put in the windows disk and then select repair.

I selected vista to boot and now it has been stuck on the screen that has the green progress bar, black background and it says microsoft corporation right below.

So progress, but not sure what else to do....