Won't Recognise External HDD

newatit27

OK, So I just got this new external HDD Its an I-Rocks "IR-9300 3.5" enclosure

I am trying to connect it to my old Pc its a Compaq persario 5000 seires running Windows ME. The computer just refuses to recognise the Hdd. The light indicating that the power is on, its nice and steady, so I know it is powered up (its also is making nosies) but the red light inidicating acsess staus is continually flashing, I can't acsses it. Any ideas on how to fix this problem would be much apricated.

*Edit: It seems like it Needs drivers but on the manfactures website it says that for windows me, it dosen't need drivers????

Last edited:

sam123

Did it come with any drivers?
I'm guessing its a USB drive? if so then do the male and female compat in the sence that are they both USB 2.0 fpr example?

Sam

newatit27

sam123 said:
if so then do the male and female compat in the sence that are they both USB 2.0 fpr example?

Sam

Yes it is a USB drive But what do you by that^^, I don't understand I am a total noob.No it didn't come with any drivers.

k9sabian

Try their technical support. http://www.i-rocks.com/2004/index/s_sales.php
Also there is a "download driver" link on there, you could try to see if they have newer drivers that may work better. The other thing I was going to ask is, seeing as this is an enclosure there is no HDD included... silly question I know, but did you put a hard drive inside the enclosure? If there is a HDD inside, try checking all the connections... Make sure everything is plugged in. Also try plugging the drive into different USB ports on your computer. If you can, also try the drive on another computer/someone elses computer to see if it works there. If it does then you know it's a fault with your computer recognising the drive.

newatit27

k9sabian said:
Try their technical support. http://www.i-rocks.com/2004/index/s_sales.php
Also there is a "download driver" link on there, you could try to see if they have newer drivers that may work better. The other thing I was going to ask is, seeing as this is an enclosure there is no HDD included... silly question I know, but did you put a hard drive inside the enclosure? If there is a HDD inside, try checking all the connections... Make sure everything is plugged in. Also try plugging the drive into different USB ports on your computer. If you can, also try the drive on another computer/someone elses computer to see if it works there. If it does then you know it's a fault with your computer recognising the drive.

I have been to that link, and at the download driver section there isn't a driver for what i need. There is of course a drive in there, I tried many diffrent connection spots and 3 sperate computers. none could read the drive. Its a 200G drive, i am beginning to think I got a dud.

*Edit: Turns out it was a dud, so I got another.

Last edited: