Won't recognize keyboard and mouse even in BIOS

M_a_r_c_0

I have an old Windows XP computer but there is a problem and it is that does not recognize the keyboard or the mouse (both USB because I don't have a Ps/2 keyboard) in the bios or in Windows XP.

I have rebooted the BIOS (removed and changed the battery for over an hour) I have tried all the USB ports (external and internal of the motherboard) and I have also tried other keyboards and nothing.

Does anyone knows what could it be?

Thank you in advance :)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Does the computer recognize other usb devices in windows like a flash drive? If not, its probably the motherboard is bad for usb controller.

M_a_r_c_0

Does the computer recognize other usb devices in windows like a flash drive? If not, its probably the motherboard is bad for usb controller.

The USB flash drive doesn't work either but I have try with a Ps/2 keyboard and it works, so I think you are right. How can I fix the motherboard problem?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, you will need a new computer. I doubt buying a usb addin card would allow the mouse and keyboard to work in the bios.

I can't remember this off the top of my head, but I had the same issue years ago and ended up having to do a "reset" of some kind on my motherboard and they ended up working again
Does anyone know what that might be? A CMOS reset maybe?