wont start up

dazzer2011

hi i have got a hp pavilion 06 astrope motherboard with a pentium 4 ht processsor in it and i put some memory in it (which i later discovered was the wrong number of pins) when i put it in i went through the standard procedure of turning it off unplugging everything and earthing myself before opening the case.I then started it up with it all back together and i got no display and it just sits there looking like it is doing nothing so i thought it is faulty memory and went back to just the original memory and even that didnt work.I have even cleared the cmos.Any sujestions or is a new motherboard job :confused:

You mentioned that it had the wrong number of pins on the memory? I'm not entirely sure how that would work, since each type (DDR, DDR2, DDR3) are all keyed differently, so that they can't be mistakenly installed in the wrong type of slot. If you were somehow able to get the wrong type installed, you could have potentially fried the motherboard.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
How did you clear the cmos? Remove power cord from power supply, remove cmos battery, press the power button on the case a few times to discharge any remaining power, then wait 5 minutes. Then reinsert battery and reconnect power and try booting up.

dazzer2011

How did you clear the cmos? Remove power cord from power supply, remove cmos battery, press the power button on the case a few times to discharge any remaining power, then wait 5 minutes. Then reinsert battery and reconnect power and try booting up.

yes that is how i did it

and how would i know if the motherboard is fried

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Sometimes it doesn't show any signs of being fried. However, you put the wrong memory in the slot and if the reset the cmos didn't work then most likely the memory slots are damaged.

antl0007

that is a micro atx so beware your compatibility with some of your old hardware, and if your going to swap the ram out anyway id buy a stand alone board without the extra hardware. waste of money for a 2gb, why spend money on something you wont use

dazzer2011

that is a micro atx so beware your compatibility with some of your old hardware, and if your going to swap the ram out anyway id buy a stand alone board without the extra hardware. waste of money for a 2gb, why spend money on something you wont use

what do you mean by compatibility with old hardware problems at the moment i only have a wireless pci card as extra hardware everything else is usb

the one i have which broke is also a micro atx with roughly the same features so it should be ok

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
what do you mean by compatibility with old hardware problems at the moment i only have a wireless pci card as extra hardware everything else is usb

Yeah, what he said didn't make any sense to me either... Just get a new motherboard. The one you picked will be ok but I would recommend getting 2 x 2gb sticks of memory instead of just one.