Woo Hoo! Another Blue Screen!

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
All day, while internet browsing, I've noticed my speed getting slower, and slower. My ISP is Comcast, and I average around 30 Mbps Down and 3 Mbps Up. I decided to check my running processes in task manager, and sure enough, I notice that iexplorer.exe is utilizing 989,000+ kb of memory! WTF!

Later, I received a DRIVER_IRQL_LESS_THAN_OR_NOT_EQUAL BSoD. The only file named was tcpip.sys. Until I receive some feedback, I'll uninstall/reinstall the ethernet controller drivers. However, I suspect it has something to do with the memory (see sig). I restored the clock speeds of the CPU and memory back to factory settings.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Michael

Last edited:

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Or just stressed RAM. I've gotten the same IRQL BSOD stop errors, and they went away after I laxed my OC just abit.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Any hardware fault can cause blue screens, the most common is because of RAM though. Software can cause them too (ie bad drviers)

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Someone suggested that I reset the TCP Stack (Windows Catalog) through the command prompt. I did this, and it looks like my problem regarding iexplorer.exe using excessive memory has been solved.

I ran memtest86+ all night and did not receive any errors.

Thanks for the advice. :)

Michael

mterickson82

Ok don't know much on computer's but i work for a very closely related cable company to comcast right now we offer 8mbps dwn and less then 1mbps up for our base hsi and we just came out with a higher speed that is 15mbps dwn and 1 mbps up. Are we way bassakwards here in montana or do you just have a really awesome connection right next the cable company????

hermeslyre

VIP Member
i believe that's in megabits per second, not megabytes. You have a 30 megabit connection and your DL speed should be around 3 megabytes per second. ;)