Word Processing Computer

So after convincing my parents to let me stop their laptop-abuse (no thermal paste at ALL, the poor thing) and go from 1gb RAM to 2gb they are more receptive to my offer of building them a computer.

My Mum wants to keep the laptop. My Dad wants a "real computer" aka desktop. I thoroughly agree that Dad should have his own comp because of how hard he hits the keyboard. I'm waiting for the day when a frantic call about a smashed case and bleeding fingers comes through.

Most of the stuff I've read about building desktops is all about the top o' the line. The worst thing my Dad is going to do to this desktop is break mice, keyboards and do some internet surfing. So I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for a low powered rig that is perfect for word processing. They want it cheap... but it will probably be cheap just because it won't have much power so money is not really an issue per se.

Thanks, ~BP

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Then you don't need a custom built pc, go to your local electronics store and buy one. Its your cheapest and best bet.

daisymtc

If it is purely word processing, just go to the shop and buy one.
If you want to build it yourself, let us know the budget of the tower unit.

spirit

Staff member
Pretty much any desktop made within the past 8 years or so would be fine if this is just for word processing.

The biggest issue with buying one from one of our electronic stores is that they usually have really expensive rigs only. We're a small boonies town so the comps available are limited. Same with the used comps. I've seen rigs years old that are being sold for a ridiculous amount of money.

I do know we have several refurbishing places around. I'll ask them if they have desktops available. Usually it's only laptops or desktop parts but a few new ones opened in the past months.

EDIT: so went searching kijiji and found this just posted:

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, 2.13 GHz
4 GB DDR2 RAM
75 GB SATA Harddrive
CD/DVD Burner
Motherboard integrated video and sound (Intel DQ965GF board)
Valid License for Windows Vista Home Basic OEM (the operating system is not installed on these systems, selling the tower As-Is.)

It's 50.00 and is only the tower. It sounds like a good deal but I figured I'd ask first.

Last edited: