work computer - missing something?

kof2000

they're finally giving me an update dont have to open my wallet this time. all paid for. :) was gonna go for a quattro for photoshop and autocad but i change my mind. :cool:

captureby3.jpg

capture2ps6.jpg

PC eye

banned
Be glad you don't have to! $52 for a case fan? yikes! :eek: ! Generally buying a supply separate from the case is the usual advice. But you are getting a 1000w model there. The other thing found a little odd was an SLI type ultimate gaming board with Vista Business 64bit. Plus they would save quite a bit if they shopped around a little. But then that's a business expense seen there.

tlarkin

VIP Member
what programs will you be using this for? Be very wary of Vista and Autodesk, for one IE7 breaks internet authentication. Does your work run a license server? Also, the system is overkill and that video card is only good for gaming. I will admit is a very decent build though.

I speak from experience since I support about 8 or so computer labs that run Autodesk, and I deploy all the install images to all the work stations.

kof2000

at work we're still running some computers on windows 2000. since autocad 97 lt ( previous version ) in order to upgrade we need to ditch 2000. we have corporate licenses for xp so if it wont run i can install xp as a secondary os. :)

i can't go easy on the cooling because for some reason it is a alot warmer on our side even with A/C ( there's two sections and the other side's MUCH COLDER.

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
Well depending on how your Admin set up Autodesk Licensing depends on how you authenticate the license. We are running the 2007-2008 Autodesk suite (Viz, Inventor, Auto CAD, etc). We have 4x unlimited seat licenses, one for each high school. I didn't want to mess with setting up a license server, nor did I want to sacrifice a machine for a license server since we have an unlimited seat license I chose to have them authenticate license files online. IE 7 breaks this, and it took me a while to figure this out. Vista only runs IE 7, and Autodesk requires IE to authenticate the license, so you are kind of just up the creek with no paddle with Vista.

So, I thought I would give you a heads up.

PC eye

banned
That's also the 64bit version not the 32bit version of the Business edition. It is however unfortunate for IE 7. The higher default security settings and antiphising filter are a must for the average user over IE 6's constant vulnerabilities there. The other option would be FireFox for active use as the primary browser. Think that would work there?

taylormsj

Your willing to put your company out of business thus loosing your job for a kick ass computer? lol sweet build

tlarkin

VIP Member
Your willing to put your company out of business thus loosing your job for a kick ass computer? lol sweet build

obviously using deductive logic we can assume that Kof, makes decent money considering the items he buys, and that his company pays him (or her) a very decent amount because I doubt he is a criminal. His location is also I believe a tropical island, so that is probably not a cheap cost of living there. Thus, we can then safely assume using the Transitive theorem, that his company can afford to drop that much money on a system. However, from a support stance I would never build a computer for a company computer, I would buy it from HP or Dell or Apple depending on needs then add a few minor upgrades to finish the build.

PC eye

banned
I can imagine the shipping costs for each item rather then prices would be the high cost item there. But the place they are buying from seems to charge more for hardwares then newegg or other vendors on some things for the build.

I imagine the desktop is going to still be split to see two different screens with the softwares used. The 17" will be the user interface while the 19" displays information only or vice versa? That would be typical in a business enviroment where multiple monitors are used.

PC eye

banned
The one thing to note about the newer boards offering room for 8gb or 16gb of memory is the chipsets are still designed for 2-4gb boards and won't fully see all of the memory. One article seen lately points out that only 7 of 8gb will be seen for that reason. You owuld have to running some super large softwares to need more then 4gb with a 64bit version of Windows anyways while Vista uses more then XP for obvious reasons.