work group switch

cameronp29

LINKSYS EZXS55W 10/100Mbps Workgroup Switch 5 x RJ45

thats what i just got my hands on. i really dont know what its for and id like to learn. they switched some stuff at work so i took this and a few other things. id like to set this little thing up at my house if it could be useful. what can i do with this??

thanks

phantomofrussia

a switch is pretty much a device that connects 2 or more devices in a network.

now with a switch you wont be able to connect to the internet with it though.

since you most likely have a router/switch at home you can use the switch that you got for LAN parties or just to mess around.

or if you run out of room and need more ports on your router just connect the switch to the router and presto: 4 more ports :)

ghost

WIKI Network switch
HowStuffWorks "How LAN Switches Work"

Care to spend a few moments on them sites and have a good read, this way you will learn how they work and you may find a use for your switch too.

it's a low-end switch (hence Linksys badge). google can provide more info that I care too.
Why did you even bother posting that crap?

now with a switch you wont be able to connect to the internet with it though.

EDIT: sorry I misread that, yes that is correct to some extent but if you have the switch in place after the modem/router/etc... you will be able to access the internet.

Last edited:

shempf

I don't understand why people don't take 5min? to google.

If a definition is in order, the Internet has computer terminology dictionaries. I guess "different strokes for diff folks".

Reiterating what google can provide in a shorter time seems like "the redundant department of redundancy"

In short, I don't know.

P.S. real info = look at some Cisco/Microsoft info if you'd like to learn. Google e-books has some good info. Not advanced either, but you have to really read it (as anything technical).

Last edited: