workgroup, can't see and no access

jimtr6

I have 4 computers running, two are Windows 7, and two are XP Pro. If I want to save a file on another PC I can find it except for one that says no access, and when I click just on Network in My Computer just to see the other computers I cannot see all the computers, from my main Windows 7 computer I can see the other Windows 7 computer but neither of the XP computers, any settings I can change?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
As long as all computers have the same workgroup name and file sharing is enabled then you should have no issues accessing files from any computer.

jimtr6

yes, they are all the same workgroup, if I want to save a document I have the option of saving in any of the four, they all appear under network as working and active computers in the network (everything looks normal and working) when I want to save a document or any other file and hit "save as" everyone is there, but if I go into "my computer" or "computer" in Windows 7 and click on Network some computers are not visible. It's my first time setting a workgroup up so it must be something I overlooked, they all have "sharing" turned on

beers

Staff member
Check the permissions of the share, you should be able to allow either local accounts specific access or you can open it up to guests/everyone.

jimtr6

it throws a curve ball at me when I see I must be a system administrator or logged on as a system administrator, if I need a password then I'm at a loss, this is basic home stuff and these computers just turn on and boot, no password ever given although the two XP computers ask but I hit enter without giving a password (as far as i know I don't have one or know it) and they boot up