Worried about HD bottleneck

dirtbikeryzz

I'm building a new system but I'm worried my hard drive is to slow. It's 5,900rpm, 1TB. All the guys at work (pc repair shop) insist the only thing that might happen is a second or two longer load times, and that them 10krpm HD's are a rip off. Opinions?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
For the most part, I do agree... While hard drives are pretty much the slowest component in computers today, they can be pretty well optimized. Burst speeds may be faster on those high-end drives, but typically random access speeds are pretty similar among drives Way back when I had a pair of rapters in a RAID. I think I got around 250MB/s out of them. However, I later switched over to a single 200GB drive and the performance decrease was quite minor and unnoticeable. Also now, one of my drives in the i7 920 is an IDE (thus a 133MB/s cap). Under most circumstances I really can't tell that much of a difference between it and my SATAII drive. The only time I really notice a difference is when I start trying to load many things at once, or load a game while/right after Windows loads.

linkin

VIP Member
if at all possible, i would just buy a 32gb SSD purely for windows and nothing else, and use my 250gb for games and programs, and whatever else.

dirtbikeryzz

This sucks, I don't want a 2500$ rig to have a slow ass hard drive, the one thing i let someone else get they go cheap on.

No other opinions?

Last edited: