Worried about keylogger

argh0111

I received a suspicious looking email from paypal that said there was a problem with my account. The email addressed me by my first and last name, so I clicked it and it sent me to a contact page on a "paypal" website. It requested some information about me, but I didn't put anything in and immediately exited the page.
My concern is whether a keylogger could have been installed while I was on that website. I didn't download anything, all I did was go to the site. I'm running a scan right now using Nod32. But, is it possible for a keylogger to stealth install itself just by being on a website or must someone actively download something to be infected?

*I also called Paypal to verify they hadn't sent me an email, and they said they didn't, so my paranoia is not without justification.

Last edited:

apj101

VIP Member
I received a suspicious looking email from paypal that said there was a problem with my account. The email addressed me by my first and last name, so I clicked it and it sent me to a contact page on a "paypal" website. It requested some information about me, but I didn't put anything in and immediately exited the page.
My concern is whether a keylogger could have been installed while I was on that website. I didn't download anything, all I did was go to the site. I'm running a scan right now using Nod32. But, is it possible for a keylogger to stealth install itself just by being on a website or must someone actively download something to be infected?

*I also called Paypal to verify they hadn't sent me an email, and they said they didn't, so my paranoia is not without justification.

paypal, or banks never send emails asking you to go and log on, they also never ever send a link in an email saying click here to log on. Never ever ever ever. If you ever got one dont even bother clicking it.
As for how they got your full name, god know, maybe its in your email, maybe they got it from some website where all the data was together. Spammer do that , and they just whack out a massive paypal email....half the recipients probably dont even have paypal accounts. I get them from Natwest bank all the time, and I dont even bank there.
Whilst its not impossible for a key logger to have been installed it very much depends on the browser, and the security settings.
which browser and version, and which version of windows are you running

Last edited:

Jamin43

banned
Never click those paypal emails.

I remember getting one that had my info - and said I needed to confirm a sale they were ready to ship the Dell PC I ordered with all the details of my purchase.

The only thing was - I never ordered a Dell PC. I logged into paypal via typing paypal.com into url - and it was a farse. Ended up forwarding the email - and lots of people had gotten a similar scam.

As mentioned above - don't click on links in emails.