Worst Virus

Apokarteron

banned
If I have no Firewall and No Antivirus what is the worst thing a virus can do to my pc if simply downloaded as a cookie?

duane534

Apokarteron said:
If I have no Firewall and No Antivirus what is the worst thing a virus can do to my pc if simply downloaded as a cookie?

Cookies can't do damage to a computer. They are merely .txt files. However, they can be a privacy risk in a less-than-secure Internet Explorer, I mean, browser.

FYI: XP SP2 has a built-in firewall.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
well, i dont know why your asking then, but cookies cant do much, apart from get data from other cookies and send it somewhere, but thats technically spyware, not a virus.

OvenMaster

VIP Member
Apokarteron said:
ZoneAlarm Free is a great free firewall.
AVG AntiVirus and Avast! antivirus are both free and excellent AV programs.
Anyone that does not run a firewall and antivirus software is playing with fire.
Tom

cell4me

banned
OvenMaster said:
ZoneAlarm Free is a great free firewall.
AVG AntiVirus and Avast! antivirus are both free and excellent AV programs.
Anyone that does not run a firewall and antivirus software is playing with fire.
Tom
The avarage time for a non protected computer to become infected from websurfing is 12 minutes!

SFR

Truth fears no questions
cell4me said:
The avarage time for a non protected computer to become infected from websurfing is 12 minutes!

I have to know where you got your info!

I have a computer (933MHz) sitting in the corner of my room that runs '98 and has no protection. It has been on (other than during black-outs or when I moved) for 2 years and its just fine :p

Last edited:

cell4me

banned
SFR said:
The first site I went to was a forum which had a link on a post that was 8 months old...

The second link also talkes about the 50% chance and was written on July 1st, 2005...

Alright so knock off 1 minute for the link being 8months old...now on avarage an unprotected computer will be infected from surfing the web in 11 minutes...oh but there is only a 50% chance that will happen so if you want to make sure you catch something you better surf some sites for at least 22 minutes :D

Another thing you need to take into consideration is the fact that 98 doesnt have as many holes as xp and is pretty much a thing of the past, all these new viruses and scripts being introduced are designed to take advantage of the holes in XP!

Last edited:

cell4me

banned
For the member who started this thread just do yourself a favore and download an antivirus and firewall...take a look at the sticky's in this section it will give you alot of options on how to protect yourself while online.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
cell4me said:
Another thing you need to take into consideration is the fact that 98 doesnt have as many holes as xp and is pretty much a thing of the past, all these new viruses and scripts being introduced are designed to take advantage of the holes in XP!

I am not using '98 second edition :cool:

cell4me

banned
I know 98 and 98se are different but neither one is going to be exploited as much as XP, who sits down now days and says (Hey I am going to run a script virus for 98 or 98se)? I guess there might be people out there doing it since you cannot get updates for either version of 98 anymore. Writing a virus for 98 would be like targeting mac users because there are just not that many out there anymore. I personaly do not know anyone using 98 anymore. I am sure there are still people who do use 98 but I am willing to bet my next paycheck more people use xp. The only point I was trying to make is with all the different viruses, trojans and spyware apps out there today it is absolutely ignorant to not keep your computer protected, especially when you can get all the tools to do so for free.

Trizoy

VIP Member
cell4me said:
Writing a virus for 98 would be like targeting mac users because there are just not that many out there anymore.

Are you a complete idiot? In no venue can you compare a win98 user to MAC users.

cell4me

banned
Can you read? (There are just not that many out there anymore.) I know someone who actually uses a mac a few people who use linux and just about everybody I know uses XP. I am not comparing the vulnerabilities of 98 vs mac that would be like comparing apples to oranges. I am stating the fact that they are not the target because they are the minority in the world of operating systems and people who create malware want to spread it to as many computers as possible.:rolleyes:

OvenMaster

VIP Member
cell4me said:
12 minutes? Hell, there've been times that as soon as my modem completed its connection and went to Google (my home page), an Avast! window has popped up saying "Warning! A virus has been detected!" I'm talking immediately!
Tom

OvenMaster

VIP Member
cell4me said:
Can you read? (There are just not that many out there anymore.) I know someone who actually uses a mac a few people who use linux and just about everybody I know uses XP. I am not comparing the vulnerabilities of 98 vs mac that would be like comparing apples to oranges. I am stating the fact that they are not the target because they are the minority in the world of operating systems and people who create malware want to spread it to as many computers as possible.:rolleyes:
I'll buy that. I only know one person that uses 98SE. Even fewer use 95, but there are still some out there with old PCs... like my backup box. But the vast majority of users do use XP, so that's what most virus writers aim for.
Tom

apj101

VIP Member
I have NOD32 antivirus and McAfee Personal Firewall 2006 and I've NEVER had a virus since I installed them.
Not that you know of ;), how would you no you had one unless nod picked it up, in which case it would remove it for you. You could be harbouring quite a few unknown nasties :)

I've heard that before, its just one of those internet facts that get flown around from time to time, but are complete bollocks. Like the fact The average person swallows eight spiders per year, i usually find www.snopes.com webste for these things

Alright so knock off 1 minute for the link being 8months old...now on avarage an unprotected computer will be infected from surfing the web in 11 minutes...oh but there is only a 50% chance that will happen so if you want to make sure you catch something you better surf some sites for at least 22 minutes
Not a great understander of conditional probabilities eh?...Given that your statement where true, a 22 minute surf would result in a 75% chance of infection ;)

I know 98 and 98se are different but neither one is going to be exploited as much as XP, who sits down now days and says (Hey I am going to run a script virus for 98 or 98se)?
a) Lots of people
b) Virus are not all platform specific (i mean MS platform)

Are you a complete idiot? In no venue can you compare a win98 user to MAC users.
Lets be careful to keep this thread clean and prevent its premature death
I am stating the fact that they are not the target because they are the minority in the world of operating systems and people who create malware want to spread it to as many computers as possible.
for the most part you are correct cell4me, and theres no point me arguing. Currently MS is the major target of most virus, and XP is the most targetted of them all...currently

The only point I was trying to make is with all the different viruses, trojans and spyware apps out there today it is absolutely ignorant to not keep your computer protected, especially when you can get all the tools to do so for free.
Your right there isnt much point, although saying that i dont run an AV or firewall on my network, except for the NAT firewall in the router, and i have enough ports open to sink a ship :)
Do i have a virus... maybe.... do i care... a little... will i do something about it.... maybe tomorrow ;)

now lets all get back on topic!