Worth it to buy a cheap older Canon Rebel?

Calibretto

VIP Member
Looking to become more familiar with DSLRs and was wondering if the older Canon Rebels (XT/XS/XTi) would still be worth grabbing? I can get one for under $200 with the lens and I'm mostly looking for something that can take better photos than my iPhone 5s.

My only concern would be the shutter click count if I were to buy a used model, which is the route I'm wanting to go. In that case, at what shutter click count to Rebels begin to deteriorate?

Obviously there are better DLSRs out there, but would picking up an older Rebel for cheap be a decent idea if I just need something better than my iPhone for photos?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Look into an EOS 50D instead. You should be able to get a body and kit lens for cheap. That or a 40D. I don't like rebels myself.

Calibretto

VIP Member
Look into an EOS 50D instead. You should be able to get a body and kit lens for cheap. That or a 40D. I don't like rebels myself.

What don't you like about the Rebels that would make you choose a 50D or 40D?

Just looking at prices now, seeing a 50D for $400 and a Rebel XTi for $150, both come with basic lenses.

spirit

Staff member
The Rebels look and feel a bit cheap and plasticy. If you can get one really cheaply with a good lens then take it (I guess), but if you're in the second hand market look for something a bit higher end. Canon 40/50/60D or a Nikon D80/D90/D7000 would suit you better. You should be able to find one of those with a good lens relatively cheaply.