Worth it to run Win7 and Win10?

gillmanjr

Hello all. I am in the middle of upgrading my i5 4670k machine to an i7 9700k and as part of this upgrade I am also moving from Win 7 to Win 10. Actually the change in OS is what is driving the hardware upgrade, I want Win 10 so I can buy the newer Forza titles for PC, which are only available for Win 10.

I own a copy of Win 7 64 bit on disk that I've had for years. In your opinion is it worth it or is there any real reason for me to have both Win 10 and 7 installed at the same time? Would there be any use to Win 7 after I have Win 10 running?

Darren

Staff member
No, except maybe some legacy software.

But no you don't need both. In fact you can't use the same activation for 7 and 10 simultaneously. Can still upgrade to 10 and transfer activation but it'll inactivate 7.

gillmanjr

No, except maybe some legacy software.

But no you don't need both. In fact you can't use the same activation for 7 and 10 simultaneously. Can still upgrade to 10 and transfer activation but it'll inactivate 7.

I had no intention of "upgrading" my Win 7 copy to 10. I was just going to buy the full retail version of Win 10. Doesn't upgrading from Win 7 cost the same amount of money anyway?

Darren

Staff member
I had no intention of "upgrading" my Win 7 copy to 10. I was just going to buy the full retail version of Win 10. Doesn't upgrading from Win 7 cost the same amount of money anyway?
No you can 100 percent still do it for free. Just run the setup off a disc or flash drive (use Media Creation Tool) and it'll upgrade you to 10. Should activate automatically. Done it hundreds of times.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

That said I'd still vote for a clean install but if you're going to do that then do the above FIRST to ensure your license is working and tie it to a MS account so you can be sure to reactivate without issue. Once you activate it once it should stay even if you reinstall.

gillmanjr

I actually just read an article about this and you are correct that people are still upgrading for free. But it is NOT guaranteed to work. If you actually read into this there are a lot of people who have problems either during the upgrade process or afterwards. I'm not sure I want to mess around with that and besides, I am upgrading my MOBO and CPU, which means clean install anyway. I think I would rather just buy a full retail version of Win 10 and keep my copy of Win 7 as well.

Darren

Staff member
I've done it literally hundreds of times so I'm pretty familiar with the process and yeah it's definitely doable.

I don't fault you for wanting to buy it though. If you're doing all that might as well.

OmniDyne

If you have a spare hard drive or just want to try Windows 10, you can get the full version from Microsoft for free. There's an undetermined trial period, but you'll have all of the features and get security/ functionality updates.

Once the trial expires (seems to only happen when you change hardware) you can still use Windows, you just get a watermark and you can't personalize some non-critical features, but you still receive all updates.

Been using a clean install of Windows 10 for a year and a half and haven't paid for it.

Last edited: