Worth it?

Brainwasher

Im about to build a new computer, and was wondering if the 975 extreme is really worth the price. I have been following the forums of many communities. What many are saying is save the 700 dollars and buy the 920 CPU and overclock it to 4GHZ with good cooling. With good cooling they are saying 3.5-4.0GHZ is capable and temps stay well under the max.

Dystopia

If you have that much money to burn, then go ahead and get the 975, and over clock that to 5GHz :p Obviously you are gonna need some good cooling.

Brainwasher

how high can I run that with air cool in a 922 Coolermaster case with 2-240MMfans and 5 120MM fans on the case? Also contemplating the 295GTX or the 285GTX on a Asus P6T Deluxe V2, 12GB Corsair 1333, and OCZ Summit SSD

Last edited:

Twist86

Rule of thumb...don't double post the same question in different sub sections of the forum.

Also the 920 is just as good no need to over pay. Also the GTX 295 is a $450+ card so unless you only need CPU + GPU if you need a full set up then you will need to up your budget some.

A normal 920 system ends up at around 600ish area depending on location/luck.

Brainwasher

Budget is not an issue really, just want the most solid set up. 295 seems to be having some cooling issues atm, and I am wondering why they pulled the EVGA Red edition card off the market, only reason Im leaning towards the 285 ATM. I am also near Saint Louis, MO, budget is about 3K-3.5K for a new I7

bomberboysk

Budget is not an issue really, just want the most solid set up. 295 seems to be having some cooling issues atm, and I am wondering why they pulled the EVGA Red edition card off the market, only reason Im leaning towards the 285 ATM. I am also near Saint Louis, MO, budget is about 3K-3.5K for a new I7
Because the red edition was a double PCB, they are transitioning to the co-op (single pcb) version of the card.