Would an upgrade from 1G to 2G be noticeable?

Primex

I'm still learning a lot about this, but someone told me to update my laptop from a 1G RAM to a 2G to get better performance. I was reading about the forum Facts 101 and I'm still confused as to what RAM really does, so I don't know if I should do this or not. Does anyone know what would be the benefits would be other than a little more temporary memory space? Maybe I'm confused as to what that means exactly.

jp198780

i dont know if you will see a difference, because you already hav 1G, and thats already real fast.

Geoff

VIP Member
jp198780 said:
i dont know if you will see a difference, because you already hav 1G, and thats already real fast.
Dont you mean thats already alot of memory? :rolleyes:

It would really depend on what your doing on you're laptop. If your doing basic tasks, then your not going to notice a difference between 1GB and 2GB. However if you play newer games or run alot of memory intensive programs at once, you may notice an improvement.

Also if you got 2GB, you may be able to disable the Page File (Memory-like storage, but its on you're hard drive), which could improve overall response time and speed.

Primex

Well I do play World of Warcraft on my notebook, and there is some little lag here and there that's more frustrating than playing on my desktop. Would this be a good cause for upgrading?

Bobo

banned
Primex said:
Well I do play World of Warcraft on my notebook, and there is some little lag here and there that's more frustrating than playing on my desktop. Would this be a good cause for upgrading?
If it supports 2GB, then yes.

Primex

Oh crap, how would I know if it supports 2G? Would there be some sort of specification on the Dell website that I bought it from? It's a Inspiron 9300 2.0GHz with 80G and it's currently 2G or RAM. I think it has 2 slots for RAM, it said that in the instructions. I've never actually changed it, but in the instructions it seems easy.

Geoff

VIP Member
Primex said:
The lag is most likely caused by either your CPU or Video (or both). What do you have for a video card, and what type of CPU is it?

I would also bet that your laptop has 2x512MB sticks, in that case you would need to get rid of them and buy 2x1GB stick (if it supports 2GB).

Primex

[-0MEGA-] said:
The lag is most likely caused by either your CPU or Video (or both). What do you have for a video card, and what type of CPU is it?

Well this is what I have:
-Inspiron 9300 Intel Pentium M Processor 760 (2 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
-Memory 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz 2 Dimm
-Video Card 256MB NVIDA® GeForce Go 6800
-Hard Drive 80GB 5400rpmHard Drive
-Combo/DVD+RW Drives 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability

Honestly I don't know what some of that stuff is. Is any of that what the CPU is? I can see what the video card is. The lag isn't bad, in fact it's pretty good most of the time, but I was just jealous because my best friend's lap was faster and he was the one that told me that his RAM was 2G and that I should upgrade. But I didn't even know that my notebook may not be able to support it. So, do you think my lap would be able to support 2GB of RAM?

jp198780

Primex said:
Oh crap, how would I know if it supports 2G? Would there be some sort of specification on the Dell website that I bought it from? It's a Inspiron 9300 2.0GHz with 80G and it's currently 2G or RAM. I think it has 2 slots for RAM, it said that in the instructions. I've never actually changed it, but in the instructions it seems easy.

go on Dell, look up your laptop, and see how much it will support.

Bobo

banned
Primex said:
Well this is what I have:
-Inspiron 9300 Intel Pentium M Processor 760 (2 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
-Memory 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz 2 Dimm
-Video Card 256MB NVIDA® GeForce Go 6800
-Hard Drive 80GB 5400rpmHard Drive
-Combo/DVD+RW Drives 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability

Honestly I don't know what some of that stuff is. Is any of that what the CPU is? I can see what the video card is. The lag isn't bad, in fact it's pretty good most of the time, but I was just jealous because my best friend's lap was faster and he was the one that told me that his RAM was 2G and that I should upgrade. But I didn't even know that my notebook may not be able to support it. So, do you think my lap would be able to support 2GB of RAM?
I am 99% sure that the Inspiron 9000 series supports 2GB of RAM.

csi1189

If you have only 1x1gb stick right now, and 2 slots available, then you can definatly support 2x1gb sticks of ram. go for it.

Primex

Yeah, thanks people, I think I am gonna upgrade. The instructions manual makes it seem so easy to do. (I really hope I don't screw it up)

Let me ask a new question now...Since the RAM doesn't have permanent information, taking out two 512MB chips and replacing them with two 1GB chips won't affect anything saved on my notebook will it?