Would the Asus M5A99FX EVO R2.0 support an amd 9370

elobire

I just got a cheap deal of an amd 9370 so im looking for a new motherboard that supports it. would the Asus M5A99FX EVO R2.0 or would I need the PRO version?
I've seen a few people use the board but others say that it will burn it out within months

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It does support it but Asus website says special thermal is required. If I were you, I would actually find a board that doesn't need anything special. Are you looking strictly at Asus or are you willing to go Gigabyte?

beers

Staff member
You need something pretty beefy VRM wise for those like a Crosshair V Formula Z, or a later revision Gigabyte 990FX-UD5

Even the Pro one you listed indicated special cooling. These CPUs run pretty hot so you'd need a high end cooler, too. A Corsair H100 could barely keep up with my FX 8350 @ 4.8 GHz (1.485v), for reference.

elobire

It does support it but Asus website says special thermal is required. If I were you, I would actually find a board that doesn't need anything special. Are you looking strictly at Asus or are you willing to go Gigabyte?

Either. I was looking at the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 which supports it after an update and is a fair bit cheaper.
Unfortunately I ordered an evo by mistake thinking it was a pro so I'll probably send it back for something more suitable.

These CPUs run pretty hot so you'd need a high end cooler, too. A Corsair H100 could barely keep up with my FX 8350 @ 4.8 GHz (1.485v), for reference.

Honestly I'm considering just sending the processor back and getting and 8350 instead. I have an ok cooling system so it should be able to hand it.

I suppose this will teach me to do my research and not just get amazed over big numbers

Last edited: