Would the FBI/CIA be able to recover anything from this hard drive?(pics) lulz

innuendo

So basically I decided to destroy my old hard drive, I'm a cheap bastard so I didn't have the proper torx screwdriver to get the whole disc out so I just forced the top out of the way with some pliers, got to the disk itself and just bent it in every way possible. I don't have a blowtorch neither so I just burnt it with cooking gas from the kitchen until it got red hot. Would someone be able to recover even the smallest amount of information from the hard drive? some 0s and 1s? I don't think so but I'm a bit paranoid lately lol.

The pictures are shitty because my camera sucks.

tedhtgdslg6.jpg

sfgcggm9.jpg

tghcbjhrp8.jpg

Last edited:
Oh yeah your still at risk, you better watch out the hard disk senses when you burn it and sends signals to the FBI's satellites... Man you are so busted.....

[/sarcasm]

brian

VIP Member
there is a thread on how to distroy a hard drive. all you need it some aluminim and some iron oxid. mix the 2. go outside and put it on top of the drive... it will not be there after

wait. i thought hard drives shattered. not bent :confused:

innuendo

I don't know if it has something about the hard disk (40GB) being bought in 2001 or what but I remember destroying a portable USB hard drive (80GB) in 2006 and the thing just completely shattered like thin glass.

Do they make hard drives from different materials now???

brian

VIP Member
just use thurmite. fast, simple, cheep and no one will ever see that hard drive again + its fun to watch :cool:

innuendo

wow so bad I don't have access to those chemicals, damn it I want to learn and experiment about everything so bad, but there is too many legal bullshit around, I know there are some videos around about how to make thermite but where can you get those chemicals without them asking for a ID or something?

I also want to experiment with liquid nitrogen, same shit, I don't know how to get it. With liquid nitrogen you could just put a bit on the hard disk, watch it freeze and then hit it with a hammer, haha fun.

brian

VIP Member
no it dont work too much... but no thurmite is legal and legal for a reg person to own and operate. the supplys are easy to obtane and dont need any id to obtane it.

innuendo

must i ask what was on the hard drive that you needed to destroy? :p

lol basically it was full of the content which the interwebs was created for, you got it right, pr0n, and lots of it, I did a back up to a USB hdd before destroying the original of course, if I didn't, it would of been BLASPHEMY:mad:

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
lol basically it was full of the content which the interwebs was created for, you got it right, pr0n, and lots of it, I did a back up to a USB hdd before destroying the original of course, if I didn't, it would of been BLASPHEMY:mad:

lmao :p

what was physicaly wrong with it?... i had to return a hard drive with EVERYTHING on it for a replacement, which i dont like because they remanufacture them

DirtyD86

banned
when you burn a hardrive the smoke can be reassembled and information can be retrieved. the only way to fully destroy it is to throw it into the firey depths of mordor from where it came

PohTayToez

I don't know if it has something about the hard disk (40GB) being bought in 2001 or what but I remember destroying a portable USB hard drive (80GB) in 2006 and the thing just completely shattered like thin glass.

Do they make hard drives from different materials now???

I've taken apart a few drives, and only encountered one like that once... I think it was a Maxtor but I'm not sure, it was like a 30 or 40GB that failed... it was probably manufactured in like 2004sh.

Kind of a funny story... we took the top cover off and hooked it to a power supply. I was scratching it with a screw as it spun, making a real high pitched noise, and my friend got annoyed and threw a screwdriver at it. It continued spinning for a second, and then... I swear... it got all wavy for like half a second and then SHATTERED. More like turned to powder... I guess that's what happens when something breaks at 7200RPM. Also, let me tell you, powdered hard drive makes your throat all scratchy when you inhale it, and is real itchy all over your skin. :cool:

brian

VIP Member
I've taken apart a few drives, and only encountered one like that once... I think it was a Maxtor but I'm not sure, it was like a 30 or 40GB that failed... it was probably manufactured in like 2004sh.

Kind of a funny story... we took the top cover off and hooked it to a power supply. I was scratching it with a screw as it spun, making a real high pitched noise, and my friend got annoyed and threw a screwdriver at it. It continued spinning for a second, and then... I swear... it got all wavy for like half a second and then SHATTERED. More like turned to powder... I guess that's what happens when something breaks at 7200RPM. Also, let me tell you, powdered hard drive makes your throat all scratchy when you inhale it, and is real itchy all over your skin. :cool:

cool. was it like a explosion or just like poof?

Cleric7x9

you just admitted you had what you didnt want anyone to know you had, you now have to destroy the hdd that this server is located on!!!! oh noes good bye cf.com