Would this be a good laptop for me for college?

Andrassy

So ive been looking around and I have an HP desktop now so i was on their website. I played around to get this laptop:

HP Pavilion dv9500t
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Operating System Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)
edit

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo T7500 (2.2GHz/4MB L2Cache)
edit

Display 17.0" WXGA+ BrightView Widescreen (1440x900)
edit

Memory $50 off upgrade from 1GB (2 Dimm) to 2GB (2 Dimm)!
edit

Graphics Card 511MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS
edit

Personalization HP Imprint Finish (Radiance) + Microphone
edit

Networking Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 4965AGN Network Connection
edit

Hard Drive 160GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
edit

Primary CD/DVD Drive Super Multi 8X DVD+/-R/RW w/Double Layer Support
edit

TV & Entertainment Experience No TV Tuner w/remote control
edit

Primary Battery High Capacity 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
edit

Productivity Software Microsoft(R) Works 8.0

---------------------------------------------------------------

That laptop would cost $1,667.99. Id like to game as best I can on the laptop and use it for whatever else. What do you think? and can i do better for the same price?

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
i dunno what that price is converted to english pounds but from the specs it looks a realy good laptop and would be great.

Hp are a good company too...much better then Dell imo.

Andrassy

I think its about 845 pounds if i did it right.. and yeah im not a big dell fan myself. any other opinions?

Andrassy

Also...how big is the difference between the 383MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS and the 511MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS. There is about a $180 price difference is the 511 significantly better?

And how are these for gaming compared to the one dell offers, the 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7400 TurboCache?

madtownidiot

The specs and price sound about right, but some HP laptops have a problem with overheating. If you get one make sure you get the extended service warranty.

macnoob

looks good

yeah it does, but i would buy it with less ram etc and upgrade it myself. its hp, which are usually good, my dad just got a work computer around those specs, with a finger print security scanner lol, his was free though. anyway u said college use...how is buying a gaming laptop college use? a good laptop for colege would i think be fast, good internet, and good applications for writing and spreadsheets etc.

Andrassy

thanks for the input so far. new question. The laptop I showed before is 17" ive heard from some people that might be too big for good use in college? Would dropping down to a 2.0 GHz processor and a 383MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS have a significant impact on gaming? These are the best options in the 15.4" pavillion

bumblebee_tuna

Watch out for the 17" screen though; that's going to be a monster. Majority of the people I talked to that have a 17" screen say that they would have rather gone with a smaller screen.

HumanMage

May I ask why you go with an HP? If you are in the market for 15.4 inch size range, take a look at Asus..they have a very nice one.