Would this be worth it?

Bacon

wasn't that suppose to be one of the best heatsinks??? like up there with the 9700?

Dunno, but it weighs over 4 pounds not including the optional two 120mm fans you can hook up on it.

It also mentioned something about a supposedly "new" thermal paste called "Chill Factor 2." Anyone ever heard of it?

just a noob

it doesn't outperform the current true by much, and WILL warp your motherboard, if it isn't mounted horizontally

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
It'd be worth it only for bragging rights. And if you really want to use it, you better rig up some support device so it doesn't break the motherboard.

just a noob

a pair of yate loons(if you get the true black, it comes with enough fan clips for 2 fans) just remember, its one fan on each side(i assume you figured that out :p) oh, if you don't like 33 dba, there is a yate on that page that's around 25dba

Bacon

Another question. Should I get a new backplate?

Thermalright suggests having a metal backplate according to this (found under the Compatibility section):
http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_p...r_tb120.html?art=MTQyMywxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

and by the pictures I found on newegg (because I didn't want to remove my whole motherboard to find out) it looks like I only have a plastic backplate. So should I invest in getting it?

Pictures of my motherboard can be found here: Click here

Bacon

My Thermalright came with a steel backplate. I am pretty sure most heatsinks nowadays do.

A steel backplate for an AM2 socket or for a 775?

Only reason I ask is because when I look at the installation instructions on their website, found HERE.

I don't see anything about an AM2 bracket, but I do see one for the 775. :confused:

Bacon

Well I've ordered everything.

I've got the Thermalright Ultra 120 Black edition, 2x fan brackets and 3x Yate Loon 1650RPM fans on their way.

Should be fun :D

amerbgd

im a bit confused does it come with a 775 backplate, fan brackets?
if not where can i buy them seperatly

any reviews of this cooler???

Last edited:

Twist86

Figured, I looked at it and the first thing I noticed was the weight.. 1900g I mean seriously..W T F

What do you expect from a pure copper heatsink...that is the reason why they use aluminum vs copper.

The price + how much it cools really isn't that great of a bargain over the current products @ 30-50 bucks. Really disappointing. I expect pure copper to do a better job.