Would this work?

Necifix

I purchased my computer when the very first DDR3 motherboards were being released in late '08 I believe, so, I still use DDR2 memory. I don't really care as it really does everything I want it to with little to no difference between most newer stuff.

Currently, I have 4 GB of GSkill DDR2-800 RAM. I want to upgrade to 6GB. Would it be possible to install 2x 1 GB GSkill sticks alongside the 2x 2 GB sticks to hit 6 GB? I don't see why I would need 8 GB as I just am barely hitting the 4 GB barrier when playing Crysis on Very High and that's the only real reason I think it's bottlenecking at all. An extra 2GB should do. Or am I forced to install another 4 GB? Would this work is what I'm asking or because I have 2x 2GB sticks in already, they would be incompatible with another 2x 1 GB sticks?

Thanks,

Sam

Demilich

We need to know a little bit more information about the motherboard. What you're saying sounds feasible. I've mixed all types of different brands and size RAM sticks together, with no problem.

Demilich

Nice. Yeah, if you upgrade to Windows 7, a RAM upgrade would definitely be beneficial. 6GB would be nice, and should work just fine.

powerpack

banned
Answer to the question is YES you can mix and match! You will still even get "Dual Channel" as Intel has what is called flex memory. Contrary to many posts from guys who are older or some who have never done anything regarding computers in their life. Also brand does matter, you can mix and match. If no one believes there is a set of standards called JEDEC guys.

Size if matched does not matter. Follow the MFG instructions.

But to be honest if you care. Going from 4GB to 6GB will make 0 difference on your performance. But if you want to spend go for it.