Would you consider this ram's latency/timings good?

wag 42

I have been buying components for my new computer for a few months now. All I have left are the MB, CPU and ram. Trying to figure out what ram would be good based on latency/timings has me somewhat dumbfounded. My understanding is ram with a lower cas latency is good, but the whole "timing" thing goes right over my head.

Anyway, I am considering this set of Corsair Dominators (I know, over priced, but what can I say-they look nice). They have a latency of 7, and timings are 7-8-7-20. Here is the link...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145290

MB: Asus P7P55D-E Pro
CPU: Intel I5-760

So, to all you experts, what do you think? Will this be good ram?

Thanks to all...

Scorpio721

You haven't said what your computer will be used for exactly but I'm assuming that you what as higher spec as you can afford.

Basically as mentioned in the article linked below the timings are the values you listed 7-8-7-20 which better performance modules have lower values. The timings are all the different delays summarised for convience so think of it as less delay (lower values) the better performance (overall speed).

Read this for info on RAM Timings: click here

Hope this helps

wag 42

Thanks for the reply. The article did help a little-I really wish they would say (referring to the ram i'm considering) the 7 means this, the 8 means this, the 7 means this, and the 20 means this. Maybe they did and it's just me having a mental block.

The computer I am building will be my first one. I want a quality well balanced very good computer. I don't want to buy things then kick myself for not getting something else. I know what I am building is not the best, but it should be pretty good. The whole ram issue for me is a stumbling block. There is so many different types with different latencies/timings that for the person (like me who doesn't have a good understanding) can make the decision a bit overwhelming.

salvage-this

For general use it will not matter much. Speed is more important than timing. The ram that you have picked out is very good and with the heatsinks that they have I would bet that you would be able to overclock that set of RAM to lower timings than what you could buy.