would you get a N or AC router

robina_80

hi all,

just wondering what would you guys get a N or AC wireless router, for future proofing obviously its the AC as its quicker but there are no devices using AC atm but im sure in a years time that will change and tbh its wireless so its never going to be reliable/quick as wired

i was looking at buying either the asus RT-N66U or the RT-AC68U - both use the less congested 5ghz freq apart from the ac is faster than the n but as i said its wireless so does it matter?

Last edited:

strollin

AC should be backwards compatible with N devices so you could go with AC for future proofing as you stated. However, AC will probably have upcoming revisions that may require router firmware updates to bring it up to current revision by the time you start having AC client adapters.

Agent Smith

N is all you really need. AC is just for people that want to blow money. Do you transfer large files over WIFI though?

beers

Staff member
There are plenty of AC adapters..

Depends on your budget and goals. If you're just browsing the web then you won't notice a difference. If you do a lot of LAN transfers over wifi it will be worth the difference.

Geoff

VIP Member
hi all,

just wondering what would you guys get a N or AC wireless router, for future proofing obviously its the AC as its quicker but there are no devices using AC atm but im sure in a years time that will change and tbh its wireless so its never going to be reliable/quick as wired

i was looking at buying either the asus RT-N66U or the RT-AC68U - both use the less congested 5ghz freq apart from the ac is faster than the n but as i said its wireless so does it matter?
Huh? Tons of devices have 802.11ac. All high end smartphones since last fall have had 802.11ac, all new MacBook's and high end PC laptops have had 802.11ac as well. I have the AC68U, love it. 802.11ac alone is worth the upgrade, but the AC68U also has USB3.0 ports and more advanced features.

N is all you really need. AC is just for people that want to blow money. Do you transfer large files over WIFI though?
lolwut? You aren't "blowing" your money by getting ac. The wireless router is maybe $50-$75 more than a dual-band n counterpart, and the client adapters are even less than that. Who wouldn't want 1.3Gbps over 300Mbps? Ever have a need to transfer files over WiFi?

Last edited: