WOW, is this the first MOBO for Core 2 Quad?

Build4speed

Does this mean that what I've been reading about having the northbridge only intels chipset because they're not as stable with other chipsets not correct?

Thanks for the answer

goosy22

Does this mean that what I've been reading about having the northbridge only intels chipset because they're not as stable with other chipsets not correct?

Thanks for the answer

no... all chipsets are designed to be as "stable" as the ones Intel makes...

Build4speed

You could be correct. But that's not what I've been reading about the dual core intel chips. I've read it a few times where they call out using Intel's chipset because they're more reliable and I beleive they say they run cooler.

I think I read that at that Tom's hardware site.

goosy22

You could be correct. But that's not what I've been reading about the dual core intel chips. I've read it a few times where they call out using Intel's chipset because they're more reliable and I beleive they say they run cooler.

possibly... I mean Intel did make the chip, they should be able to crank out a kickass chipset... but that isn't always the case... the Nvidia 680i is supposed to be the best one out there now for the C2D and the Quad-Core C2Ds...

goosy22

possibly... I mean Intel did make the chip, they should be able to crank out a kickass chipset... but that isn't always the case... the Nvidia 680i is supposed to be the best one out there now for the C2D and the Quad-Core C2Ds... hence the support:

[-0MEGA-];517558 said:
The 680i is the newest chipset from nVidia. And is considered the highest end chipset for the Core 2 Duo to date.

Geoff

VIP Member
nVidia does make some high end chipsets for the Core 2 Duo, such as the 5xx and 6xx series. They are extremely stable, just as stable as the Intel chipsets.

Bl00dFox

The good thing about this quad core MOBO is that it can support 1333 FSB, while most other similar boards only have 1066!

Geoff

VIP Member
if I'm right, all 680i mobos can
Yup, all 680i boards can.

yes... although not all C2D CPUs support 1333 FSB...
The current CPU's out now are only 1066, however Intels new CPU's (both quad and the duo), will use a 1333Mhz FSB.

So that Striker board can use 3 PCI-E cards at once?????!!!!
Yes it can, but so can the other 680i boards. You cant use three in SLI mode, only two. But you can use three to power 6 monitors if you wanted to.

goosy22

[-0MEGA-];518349 said:
The current CPU's out now are only 1066, however Intels new CPU's (both quad and the duo), will use a 1333Mhz FSB.

really? i haven't found one yet that supports it... even the QX6700 on newegg is only 1066...

EDIT: wait, i spose you mean the ones that are in development... i get it now...

Geoff

VIP Member
really? i haven't found one yet that supports it... even the QX6700 on newegg is only 1066...

EDIT: wait, i spose you mean the ones that are in development... i get it now...

haha, ya. I'm not sure when they'll be released but there going to have a different number scheme as well. (E6650 or something I think).

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
IM A VERTERAN OK? They need experience to lead, and I've had plenty of that. World war 1, 2, Vietnam, golf, pearl harbor you name it. I was there. 96 and still going strong. :cool:
Something inside me wants to release a bit of compassion there, and say good on ya, but then i realise what complete and utter rubbish it is