Wrieless-N

Ekim401

Anyone try out the Wireless-N router? I got a Wireless-B and it sucks, but i'm the only one connected by Cat-5 so it doesn't effect me, just the other computers in the house :-D.

Trizoy

VIP Member
Try g, the technology is cheap and fast (54mbps). N is still the newer thing and is still up ther ein price. You need to get a wireless N card and router also...

DiViDe

Trizoy said:
Try g, the technology is cheap and fast (54mbps). N is still the newer thing and is still up ther ein price. You need to get a wireless N card and router also...

I have a n router it works really good. Nice and FAST (can go up to 300mbps) Pricy tho for card+router=$250

Edit: not too many cards and routers out right now either

Last edited:

Trizoy

VIP Member
DiViDe said:
I have a n router it works really good. Nice and FAST (can go up to 300mbps) Pricy tho for card+router=$250

Edit: not too many cards and routers out right now either

I guess it is important when you transfer those large pron files across the lan. But since your network card only supports WAN speeds lower than 10Mb it is not really important... How often do you transfer files across your network? Enough to spend $250 on this stuff?

Trizoy

VIP Member
DiViDe said:
G would help, but I had problems with it interfering with my telephone. So I got N.

Did you try changing the channel? There are 11 of them used...

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
DiViDe said:
G would help, but I had problems with it interfering with my telephone. So I got N.
thats gotta be the most un-necessary over spend i've heard this year, you spent $250 when you could just spend literally 30 seconds, selecting a different channel in your router config pages.... i hope you didnt know about channels rather than you just like to spend...

dragon

DiViDe

Yes I did. All the chanels Interfered with my phone. I had talked to alot of support teams and they said to said to get a different router. It pissed me off but in the long run i am happy with my N.

Edit: And N has a better range. So If you have dead spots in your house. This will most likely take care of it.

Last edited:

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
Yes I did. All the chanels Interfered with my phone. I had talked to alot of support teams and they said to said to get a different router. It pissed me off but in the long run i am happy with my N.

Edit: And N has a better range. So If you have dead spots in your house. This will most likely take care of it.
I'd still rather buy a high gain antenna rather than pay $250 for N just to get rid of the black spots in my house

stinkycheeseman99

Get N because then you probably would never have to upgrade your router ever again for the rest of your life. Just get an N router then get high performance G adapters and when N adapters come down in price, upgrade to that and your network is set. Another thing to consider though is your internet/modem speed because N is much faster than most ISP (Internet Service Providers) are providing for you, so, in essence, you're over spending. BUT, with N you will get better distance and speed, even with G adapters, because it's sending out alot of Mbps (Megabytes per Second) and you only need about 11 Mbps (roughly the speed of B) to get a decent connection. If you're on a budget and are looking for range, get a good G router and get what is a called a Repeater or Range Extender and put it as far as you can that has a decent signal and that literally doubles your network range. I have a combination of an N network with a Range Extender and I have the range of two houses plus including walls. We were upgrading from a B router too.

P.S. I may have over spent but when your Mac (yes Mac) laptop has a crappy adapter, you need all the Mbps you can get.

P.P.S. We were trying to get connection outside.

Last edited:

stinkycheeseman99

Come to think about it though, if your just trying to get connection in a small house or apartment, a nice router and a high-gain antena would probably work.... Still, I think your should go with N.