WRT400N annoyances

agapetos

Hi everyone!

I bought a WRT400N router and I am having some issues that is weird for me.

I only use WEP security because I have friends come over a lot and are also sharing the router with my neighbor so I like it that way.

However, everytime I have someone log on, it will first ask for the key which I put in, and after that it asks for network authentication, with username and Password???

I would be happy to enter it, but first of all, I never set that up on the router, secondly I have no clue which user name and password it is referring to and thirdly HOW do I turn that OFF forever!!!

Its is quite annoying and shouldn't be an issue. I have found others with this issue but none with a real good explanation and a work around.

I think mainly the issue is with Windows 7 and Vista, but I have an old XP lappie which also had this come up.

thanks for any help,
Michael:confused:

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It may have something to do with the windows 7 pc, not sure though. The reason why I'm saying this is that when you install windows 7 it has a network identification and it may be that the other machines are detecting this when connecting to your wireless and in order for data to be shared you need to enter this network and password. Again, not sure on this so don't quote me. I've never actually seen this YET....

agapetos

yeah, see I am NOT wanting to connect or share the network, and the router is not setup with any of that and there are no other windows 7 computers on the network.

This is sooo annoying and I have seen many with this issue. I just installed vista on an old laptop I have and it doesnt even come up with the key request it simply comes up with usernam, password, logon domain.

WHAT on earth is this? What are they expecting me to put into those fields when I never added it to the router setup.

PLEASE anyone help?

Mike

Pipes

To start, WEP should only ask any device (MAC) that has never logged on before for a password. The log in password is stored on the device. WEP is an encripted password which requires alot of CPU time to decode thus slowing down network speed. Most favour WPA2 as it is faster (sometimes lots) but is less secure as the pass phrase is not encripted. Again, only required to be entered once.
It might be possible your router does have another layer of protection added like for internet access etc.
As stated above the user/password is the message you will receive if your PC is trying to access a different network device. Could be IP printer, cam, HDD server, etc. etc. And as stated above the media center type software also could be asking for a password but think again it should only need be entered once.
So look for applications which launch at start up and check all router settings closely.
Cheers,