WTB LGA 775 processor something faster than e6300

salman

Hey guys
I've got my e6300 oc'ed to 2.5ghz and I don't feel as if its fast enough anymore, its mainly video editing where it lets me down. Does anyone have anything considerably faster for sale? Ideally i'd like a quad core.

I'm willing to buy from people in the USA as well, I don't think shipping should be too bad.

Thanks a lot.

87dtna

Whats your budget?

Make sure your Bios is up to date first too.

If you have a low budget, this E5400 is a great deal-

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/159452

It uses the faster 45nm wolfdale architecture so it's faster than an E6300 core 2 duo clock for clock (meaning if both were at 2.7ghz the E5400 is stronger). The E6300 C2D uses conroe 65nm core, older tech. And the E5400 is already clocked higher than your overclock at 2.7ghz, easily overclockable to ~3.4-3.5 maybe more on stock volts. You will see a major jump in performance with that when editing.

Or, if you have a higher budget the Q8300 quad is a nice deal here-

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/158333

That can be OC'd to 3.2-3.4ghz easily and have a HUGE boost in performance with then when editing. A quad is worth it when editing, but if you can't afford it the E5400 is still a nice big boost in performance plus you can sell your E6300 for $30-40 to make some of that up.

Last edited:

linkin

VIP Member
Get the Pentium E6300, like i did. goes to 3.5ghz on stock voltage (just under 1.3v it was for me)

salman

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm liking the look of that E5400, it seems to be within my budget range and 3.4-3.5ghz would be excellent especially if its faster clock for clock than my 65nm e6300.

Anyone got any quad cores for sale. A Q6600 perhaps?

87dtna

Yeah I don't think you will be disappointed with the performance boost even with the 5400 at stock 2.7ghz. Once you OC you'll really feel the gains. Also the E5400 has an 800 front side bus, so more overclocking headroom than the E6300 which is 1066mhz because the multiplier is MUCH higher at 13.5. Make sure to set your ram to the correct multiplier as it will be different of course.

So with 800 FSB the clock is at 200 (vs 266 with 1066 FSB). Taking the FSB to 250 will give you 3.375ghz, but that will take your ram to 1000mhz at the same multiplier. I don't know what options your bios has for ram multipliers, you'll just have to play with it and get a FSB and ram multi that leaves to close to 800 again.

Most people on here have AMD setups. And a Q6600 is still going for around 100 USD.

Last edited:

linkin

VIP Member
Yeah I don't think you will be disappointed with the performance boost even with the 5400 at stock 2.7ghz. Once you OC you'll really feel the gains. Also the E5400 has an 800 front side bus, so more overclocking headroom than the E6300 which is 1066mhz because the multiplier is MUCH higher at 13.5. Make sure to set your ram to the correct multiplier as it will be different of course.

So with 800 FSB the clock is at 200 (vs 266 with 1066 FSB). Taking the FSB to 250 will give you 3.375ghz, but I'm not sure where that will leave your ram. What do you have?

Most people on here have AMD setups. And a Q6600 is still going for around 100 USD.

We've been here before :p

On another forum i saw a thread about overclocking with the multi vs. the FSB and it was concluded with many benchmarks that higher FSB and lower multi (such as comparing these 2 chips, the E5400 and (new) E6300) and clocked at the same speed, the higher fsb and lower multi had better performance.

the E5400 has 13.5x multi and 800 fsb like you said, against the E6300 which is 1066fsb and 10.5x multi. It's also 100mhz faster at stock but that probably doesn't make as big a difference as the multi vs. fsb deal.

Also for what it's worth the new E6300 has virtualisation. And there's a $10 difference in price between the two chips.

In the end it probably doesn't matter which one you choose :p

87dtna

Higher FSB increases memory bandwidth, thats why. It's not really a big deal, and I'm sure the performance difference was negligible.

I didn't see the E6300 on ebuyer. He's in the UK remember.

Gareth

This is my CPU the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450, had it in my rig now for 2 years, and still can't even consider replacing it, its just too fast! It has kept up with every work demand and is still aweing me with the performance it gives!

87dtna

Good choice, should be a huge noticeable upgrade. Plus you can still sell your E6300 for like 25 pounds to get half of that back.