WTF is Bandicam doing?!

The VCR King

I use Bandicam to make gaming videos on my YouTube channel because I'm too lazy to install a capture card, lol...

[check my videos out sometime! https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHA7P0b-GL28S46Fqd1YFcPaXIZaKNu9W]

...but lately the video files it's making are HUGE! Obviously I have to do everything in 10-minute segments because I use Free Bandicam, so during a gaming session I take all the 10-minute videos and put them together as one in Windows Movie Maker then I upload it. Most of my gaming videos are about an hour long.

However, lately Bandicam's files have been HUGE! I mean it is literally taking 1GB per MINUTE of video I take, and it just records in my screen resolution, 1680x1050. Because of this, each hour-long or so video I do ends up being nearly 60GB in filesize and it not only takes multiple days to upload but in the process it wrecks my internet bandwidth and makes my 15MBPS DSL line into sub-dialup speeds.

I've checked Bandicam's settings and all is default, so IDK what to do. Can anyone here chime in please?

The VCR King

Buy an nVidia card and stream directly to YouTube with GeForce Experience.

GeForce Experience might be the most epic thing for streamers.

It has its quirks at times, but I haven't NOT been able to easily stream my gameplay to YouTube.

I'll probably go with a Nvidia card with my next PC build, I'm not throwing one in my 100,000-mile-used-car of a PC for it to probably explode in a year anyways. In the meantime, can someone please tell me how to stop Bandicam from apparently dumping uncompressed videos as my final files?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
All settings are default, I've never touched them
So maybe change them and bring the quality down so the files aren't so big.

Do I need to put a big "DUH!" in my responses to you? Critical thinking is essential in IT.

spirit

Staff member
Buy an nVidia card and stream directly to YouTube with GeForce Experience.
Or if you want to record video and edit it before putting it on YouTube, the capture software (ShadowPlay) in GeForce Experience works really well. File sizes are decent too, saves in MP4.

Or, upgrade to Windows 10 and there is an in-built recording feature in the Xbox App that works quite nicely. A friend of mine showed me.

@The VCR King, the bitrate of that video is phenomenally high, meaning the file size will be big. Is there any way in Bandicam (in options/settings) to reduce the bit rate. I render 4K (3840x2160) video straight out of Adobe Premiere Pro at 38,645kbps and for a 90 minute video that's about 24GB in MP4. You've got a two minute MP4 video there in 1680x1048 recorded at 75,332kbps so no wonder the file size is huge. When I was doing 1080p video I was rendering at around 22,700kbps and 75 minute long videos would be about 12GB, so you can see that 75,332kbps for a two minute 1680x1048 video is just crazy. Turn the bit rate down to say 10,000kbps and it will still look great, but the file size will be much smaller.

Last edited:

The VCR King

Or if you want to record video and edit it before putting it on YouTube, the capture software (ShadowPlay) in GeForce Experience works really well. File sizes are decent too, saves in MP4.

Or, upgrade to Windows 10 and there is an in-built recording feature in the Xbox App that works quite nicely. A friend of mine showed me.

@The VCR King, the bitrate of that video is phenomenally high, meaning the file size will be big. Is there any way in Bandicam (in options/settings) to reduce the bit rate. I render 4K (3840x2160) video straight out of Adobe Premiere Pro at 38,645kbps and for a 90 minute video that's about 24GB in MP4. You've got a two minute MP4 video there in 1680x1048 recorded at 75,332kbps so no wonder the file size is huge. When I was doing 1080p video I was rendering at around 22,700kbps and 75 minute long videos would be about 12GB, so you can see that 75,332kbps for a two minute 1680x1048 video is just crazy. Turn the bit rate down to say 10,000kbps and it will still look great, but the file size will be much smaller.
Thanks! I will have to figure out how to turn it down.

spirit

Staff member
Thanks! I will have to figure out how to turn it down.
You may be able to specify a target bitrate or there might be quality options (like 'low', 'medium', 'high'), but there will be a way to adjust video settings, I'm sure. Play around and see what looks best whilst keeping a reasonable size!

The VCR King

I went into the settings and there was no bitrate option, but I decided to try something. I changed the settings from default to:
Resolution 1920x1080P, Frames 60FPS, and quality 100 (default was "large", 30fps, and 80)
I did a 10 minute recording with the settings maxed out and the filesize was actually smaller than with default settings, plus I got the bonus of huge video resolution.

Check out the "experimental video" if you want:

Edit: The filesize for most of my 10 minute videos with default settings was around 9GB, with the new maxed-out settings it was about 4.5GB.

I find it weird that increasing the resolution and everything decreased the bitrate and filesize but whatever

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
I went into the settings and there was no bitrate option, but I decided to try something. I changed the settings from default to:
Resolution 1920x1080P, Frames 60FPS, and quality 100 (default was "large", 30fps, and 80)
I did a 10 minute recording with the settings maxed out and the filesize was actually smaller than with default settings, plus I got the bonus of huge video resolution.

Check out the "experimental video" if you want:

Edit: The filesize for most of my 10 minute videos with default settings was around 9GB, with the new maxed-out settings it was about 4.5GB.

I find it weird that increasing the resolution and everything decreased the bitrate and filesize but whatever
Pleased you sorted it out, video size isn't always entirely dependent on resolution: a 720p video with a high bitrate is bigger than a 1080p video with a low bitrate. I think that 'quality' option will likely be the bitrate setting, you can turn it down to make the file smaller but seems like you're happy now. :)

The VCR King

Pleased you sorted it out, video size isn't always entirely dependent on resolution: a 720p video with a high bitrate is bigger than a 1080p video with a low bitrate. I think that 'quality' option will likely be the bitrate setting, you can turn it down to make the file smaller but seems like you're happy now. :)
I am happy with my new "maxed out" settings. When recording it does put a larger load on the processor because it has to record a 1680x1050 screen and upscale it to 16x9 on the fly, but I haven't had any real issues in gaming. There's the occasional bottleneck or frame drop but nothing major. :)

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I am happy with my new "maxed out" settings. When recording it does put a larger load on the processor because it has to record a 1680x1050 screen and upscale it to 16x9 on the fly, but I haven't had any real issues in gaming. There's the occasional bottleneck or frame drop but nothing major. :)
Obviously you have no idea what you're talking about. 1680x1050 is a native resolution for a 16x9 aspect ratio.