Wtf

malikah

Hi, I turned my other computer on this morning only to find that most of my icons were missing (converted to the no association icon) and I could not execute most .exe files. I can't access add/remove programs but IE7 works fine. When I double click on an .exe, the icon fades as if it thinks it's a hidden file. I don't think this is a virus, but an incompatable program. I installed restorator 2005 yesterday and I think it just installed badly. Also I can't execute Add/Remove programs and MSCONFIG won't execute either. Is there something in the registry that prevents .exe files from running?

malikah

PROBLEM SOLVED:

I went here for the solution.

NOTE: If you can not run the exefix_xp.com utility and are prompted to open it with a file, navigate to c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe and use the command line to execute the file - it was my only option. Reeboot when you are done.

Also, some other symptoms of this problem (before I fixed it) were:
Startup programs didn't start - like antivirus, google desktop, etc. and I couldn't use folder links in the start menu like add/remove programs although, folders on my desktop worked fine. I don't think this was a virus, just a poorly installed program which messed with the registry a little.