Wtp ( Windows File Protection)

kopanowsall

Ok so i was changing the boot screen ok and i was replacing the file ntoskrl or somethign like that in system32.. Ok.. Since Wtp a latest feature of windows replaces the file everytime u get rid of it. Well i by passed that easily by creating a a zipped foloder version of that and delted ntoskrnl in it then deleted the file it self with another file called ntkrnlpa. There then i repalce that with a falty boot screen later did i figure out (wad a gay website gave me a faluty boot screen). Now my comp wont boot which gets me prettry pissed off cause of course it cant find the file ntoskrnl. Well i would not liek to reboot windows and reinstall it. What can i do?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
you have to reinstall windows. when your changing the boot screen you should always use a copy of ntoskrnl and create a dual boot option so that you can go to your original ntoskrnl should your new one fail

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Ok.. Since Wtp a latest feature of windows replaces the file everytime u get rid of it. Well I by passed that easily by creating a a zipped foloder version of that and delted ntoskrnl in it then deleted the file it self with another file called ntkrnlpa. There then I repalce that with a falty boot screen later did I figure out
Whoa seem a tad complicated .... why not just safe mode + replace? it doesnt get "restored"

wad a gay website gave me a faluty boot screen
More likely that the kernal was for a dfferent OS revision -- something you shoulda checked before poppingit in there :

What can I do?
If you have EFS on then use W2K bootCD (you might not have to for this i could be wrong), fire up the W2K recovery console and copy the kernal back to the sys32 folder

If you dont have EFS on (or i was wrong), boot into the WXP recovery console and restore the file ... its embedded in the XP CD ... now if you had a service pack on then you'll need to slipstream or get it off someone who's got a copy handy