Wuaclclt.exe - Is it possible that this virus is infecting my BIOS or RAM?

doubleself

My brother returned my laptop (Acer 4732z) yesterday with the system as messy as hell. My brother said that the windows restarts every 15 minutes. (It's windows Xp service pack 2)
Everytime I start windows it goes lag and lag. I checked, and in the task manager, there's this process "wuaclclt.exe" (I'm not mistyping that. It's not the usual windows update client wuaclt.exe, and i can't find that on google) consuming quite of the memory, and there's this svchost.exe that keeps consuming memory way up and up until there's no more for the other program, and the system either hangs or restarts.
if i kill this svchost.exe the memory would be freed, but the process would return again and start over consuming memory.

usually if i had a problem with virus so far i would just format it, wiping clean the system drive (Drive C: in my case) and then reinstall windows XP and other thingies, and that's it, a fresh system.

but now, my problems are these:
1. I couldn't get the laptop to read te winxp installer cd. i've set the boot order to CD-drive at the top, but the winxp setup won't load and the current system load itself as if there's no winxp setup cd there. I've tried another winxp setup cd - a freshly burnt cd - but the problem remains the same. at first i thought that this was due to the optical drive problems, but then: problem no 2
2. I have a winxp setup USB flash drive, i usually use it to reinstall windows to my netbook which has no cd drive. usually there is no problem installing it, just plug in the usb drive and there would be 3 numbered options after booting, in which option number 1 is the first step to install it. but now after the booting the option number 1 is MISSING! and option 2 and 3 is still there...

my questions are
1. is the virus infecting my RAM or BIOS?
2. how can i format the C: drive?
3. do you have any idea what kind of virus is this?

gamblingman

VIP Member
Hmmm, does the hard drive have a recovery partition? (For reinstalling the factory operating system.)

Can you take the hard drive out and connect it to a desktop computer and scanning?

Last edited:

GaryCantley

my questions are
1. is the virus infecting my RAM or BIOS?
2. how can i format the C: drive?
3. do you have any idea what kind of virus is this?

1. No. Ram is volatile. i.e. When you switch the computer off, anything in RAM is deleted. BIOS. No.

2. If you want to reload windows, insert the system disk, this will format the drive during the installation process.

3. No, but probably malware. Run Malware Bytes from safe mode if you cant get the hard drive out and connected to another machine. MBAM should clear enough of it to allow running in normal mode, where you can run another scan.

lg18

1. No. Ram is volatile. i.e. When you switch the computer off, anything in RAM is deleted. BIOS. No.

2. If you want to reload windows, insert the system disk, this will format the drive during the installation process.

3. No, but probably malware. Run Malware Bytes from safe mode if you cant get the hard drive out and connected to another machine. MBAM should clear enough of it to allow running in normal mode, where you can run another scan.

I agree with this.. you may also try to burn avira rescue CD and try to run it