X-540 sound system

bkribbs

Anyone ever have these?

And more importantly, anyone ever disassemble the remote? Need to clean mine out and maybe replace the potentiometers but can't get to them.

G25r8cer

Yup I have a set and love them. No problems here in the 2yrs I have had the set. From looking at the remote I'd have to assume and almost guarantee the access panel screws are underneath the rubber feet on the bottom. If you press really hard in the center of them you can feel an indent/hole. Assuming those are screws. Replacing the pot won't be easy though! It's going to take plenty of research in order to find just the right one. You might be better off sending it in for repair or even buying just a sub/remote combo or a blown sub/remote off of ebay. I know they are hard to come by sometimes though. Best of luck !!

bkribbs

Yup I have a set and love them. No problems here in the 2yrs I have had the set. From looking at the remote I'd have to assume and almost guarantee the access panel screws are underneath the rubber feet on the bottom. If you press really hard in the center of them you can feel an indent/hole. Assuming those are screws. Replacing the pot won't be easy though! It's going to take plenty of research in order to find just the right one. You might be better off sending it in for repair or even buying just a sub/remote combo or a blown sub/remote off of ebay. I know they are hard to come by sometimes though. Best of luck !!

Yeah there are screws there. But actually I'm just not sure how to get to the pot.

So instead I think I'm going to try to bypass it.

Anyone have ideas on how I can attach some speaker wire to the two pins right next to each other? I'm new at soldering so I don't want to try that on these. What else could I do?

G25r8cer

You could bypass it and that will throw full power to all speakers. Then just control via the computer volume. But, i wouldn't recommend doing that.

Really no other way than soldering. How did you plan on replacing the pot if you can't solder that well?

Maybe try heat shrink wrap. idk

bkribbs

You could bypass it and that will throw full power to all speakers. Then just control via the computer volume. But, i wouldn't recommend doing that.

Really no other way than soldering. How did you plan on replacing the pot if you can't solder that well?

Maybe try heat shrink wrap. idk

Why not? I was messing with it at full volume on the speakers and it sounds ok I think. Hot glue is what I'll try, its not permanent.

And not being good at soldering doesn't mean I can't. It'll just be like my second time ever haha.