x-fi card for these speakers or not worth it??

Im thinkin of getting an x-fi card but i juss want to know if its worth getting with having an older model of cambridge soundworks 5.1 dts 2200 i belive it is. its had 5 channels at 5 watts each and a sub at 17 watts with a total of 42 watts. i have a live 5.1 card makes a diff compared to my on board. soo what do u all think x-fi card or naw.

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
pure power doesn't make a difference; what you need is clarity. you need to look out for how much noise the speakers themselves generate. my speakers aren't that good and at high volumes i can hear a little bit of white noise.
however, i have been told that the x-fi is benefitial to system performance in games etc, this is something to bear in mind; however i dont know exactly how beneficial it would be to a given pc

X24

Unless u really like ur audio to be perfect, i'm betting your current card there should work fine. But on the hand that maybe you are a music freak and need it to sound perfect, then i'd recommend the X-fi for sure.

BTW, Whitenoise? that movie sucked bawls.

suprasteve

do you know offhand or can you look up the sensitivity (aka SNR) rating of your speakers? If they aren't at least in the mid to upper 90's it's probably not going to matter much.

Ku-sama

banned
actully White Noise isnt just a movie, turn your speakers all of the way up and your hear silence static named White Noise

vortmax

actually....that static isn't even white noise. White noise is defined as equal energy at all frequencies. Your speakers don't generate all frequencies equally, so it's not true white noise. True white noise is VERY hard to generate

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
what about pink or brown noise.... they do exist, but i'm not sure of the exact definitions of each although they do sound similar to white noise

mat2317

I heard brown noise can actually do something to ure stomach and make u crap ureself. The germans expermented with it apparantly. Useful info ther :p

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
i remember seeing a science program a few years ago and brown noise in a room of a particular size causes major abdominal pains but thats all i remember