x-fi card just died... i think

lexmark

I bought a soundblaster xfi extreme audio card about a month ago and it stopped working yesterday after i changed some settings in realtek audio device... I set everything to default but it still doesn't work, i downloaded the drivers and installed em since i can't find my xfi cd but that didn't work either...

everything is screwed up now, i can use my mobo sound but only under "headphones" settings... if i put it to anything else such as "speakers out" it doesn't play... and yet if i plug in my usb headphones, THEY DONT WORK!! :mad:

i also have the xfi creative sound control box but nothing i do in the settings seems to work.

someone help me before i use this pos card as target practice...

Vizy

about a month ago...just forget the hassle and exchange it or somehting. If u dont wanna....have u tried a full system reformat? how about switchin the pci card slot up?

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Is your onboard sound disabled through the bios? If not, that's probably messing with the x-fi. Also see which sound device is activated in your control panel.

Nightrain

Try uninstalling both the realtek drivers and the soundblaster drivers. Disable the onboard as mentioned. Then reinstall the soundblaster drivers. I'm tired as its late, but this should set the xfi back to default for everything.

If you have the xfi extreme, why were you playing around in the realtek drivers(onboard)? Was there a particular function you were trying to enable? (Might help us to to figure out what you changed).

lexmark

about a month ago...just forget the hassle and exchange it or somehting. If u dont wanna....have u tried a full system reformat? how about switchin the pci card slot up?

i havent... my only other slot is blocked by an aftermarket gfx fan but i doubt thats the problem

lexmark

Is your onboard sound disabled through the bios? If not, that's probably messing with the x-fi. Also see which sound device is activated in your control panel.

bios? please speak noob with me:D

i checked control panel and it says under sound/ playback

speakers 2 sound blaster x-fi audio - working

speakers 3 microsoft lifechat lx 3000 -working

speakers realtek high def audio - not pluged in

realtek digital output -working

the only thing under "recording" thats working is s/pdif-in 2 sound blaster extreme audio and microphone...

lexmark

Try uninstalling both the realtek drivers and the soundblaster drivers. Disable the onboard as mentioned. Then reinstall the soundblaster drivers. I'm tired as its late, but this should set the xfi back to default for everything.

If you have the xfi extreme, why were you playing around in the realtek drivers(onboard)? Was there a particular function you were trying to enable? (Might help us to to figure out what you changed).

i was a bit scared to uninstall the xfi drivers because i couldn't find my cd... but i guess ill do it anyways, and i cant remember why i was fooling around with realtek but i changed the "default format" like... 16 bits, 48000 hz (dvd quality) into something else... thats what messed things up in the first place but i set it back to default so i don't understand why its not working again.

ill delete all my drivers and download new ones, brb in 5

lexmark

ok this is just great, i deleted my xfi stuff and downloaded the drivers from the website but it doesn't help, i get a mesage when i restart saying " windows must instal an audio device" or something like that... . i click install and it asks for a cd!!!!!!

DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i knew i shouldn't have uninstalled it..

what can i do now?

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
You need to disable your onboard audio through your bios. When you boot up the computer, hit delete, or F1, or w/e the computer says to get into system setup. Then you have to look ofor integrated peripherals, where you can set your onboard audio to disabled. Then go to soundlbaster's website and download the correct x-fi drivers and install it. Finally go into your control panel and make sure that your x-fi is the only thing enabled in the playback category.

lexmark

You need to disable your onboard audio through your bios. When you boot up the computer, hit delete, or F1, or w/e the computer says to get into system setup. Then you have to look ofor integrated peripherals, where you can set your onboard audio to disabled. Then go to soundlbaster's website and download the correct x-fi drivers and install it. Finally go into your control panel and make sure that your x-fi is the only thing enabled in the playback category.

i couldn't find an onboard audio selection in bios but thank you, everything works fine now:)