x-fi sound cards

fadge

im currently building a new computer and i am either going to buy the x-fi extreme audio or the x-fi extreme music, my question is, is it really worth the extra $60.00 or so to buy the extreme music, or doesn't it really matter, and should i just get the extreme audio
cheers, fellas

PC eye

banned
Even if you are gaming you can still save by going with the Extreme Audio edition. I'll assume the Extreme Music has a 5 1/4" drive bay panel while the other comes without it explaining the large price gap.

Geoff

VIP Member
Some people say the Xtreme Audio isnt even an X-Fi (in terms of quality and features). Unless your on a really tight budget, I would go with at least the Xtreme Music.

PC eye

banned
Why? I run the Audigy 4 Pro without problem in games and multimedia alike. With sound it's not only the card used but the speakers for reproduction there as well. If your speakers are "crapola" that's what you will hear anyways with the best card out. You can take a low end card and still have good sound with good speakers.

Those X-Fi's are not half as good as the high Audigy's, I wish they still sold the Audigy 2 ZS Platinum on Newegg. My bud has one and that thing is awesome, no interference.

bumblebee_tuna

[-0MEGA-];660585 said:
Some people say the Xtreme Audio isnt even an X-Fi (in terms of quality and features). Unless your on a really tight budget, I would go with at least the Xtreme Music.

I think I read somewhere that the Xtreme Audio either has an Audigy 4 processor or Audigy 4 based drivers or something; you're otherwise buying an Audigy 4 card..... I would suggest spending a little more and go for the xtremegamer.... It's a great card before you begin spending an even larger sum of money for features that you may not need. The CMSS-3D is well worth the money and you get amazing audio playback and a boost of FPS in games...... EAX support is a plus too........ My only complaint is there ABSOLUTELY NO DRIVER SUPPORT FOR LINUX, although there are rumors about some coming out late this fall....... If you want something with Linux driver support, go with a high-end Audigy or another brand of card like m-audio.......

PC eye

banned
Those X-Fi's are not half as good as the high Audigy's, I wish they still sold the Audigy 2 ZS Platinum on Newegg. My bud has one and that thing is awesome, no interference.

The Audigy 4 Pro now used here tops the older Audigy 2 ZS Gamer used on the last build. But the Sound Blaster days are going to be over sometime.

I think I read somewhere that the Xtreme Audio either has an Audigy 4 processor or Audigy 4 based drivers or something; you're otherwise buying an Audigy 4 card..... I would suggest spending a little more and go for the xtremegamer.... It's a great card before you begin spending an even larger sum of money for features that you may not need. The CMSS-3D is well worth the money and you get amazing audio playback and a boost of FPS in games...... EAX support is a plus too........ My only complaint is there ABSOLUTELY NO DRIVER SUPPORT FOR LINUX, although there are rumors about some coming out late this fall....... If you want something with Linux driver support, go with a high-end Audigy or another brand of card like m-audio.......

Creative has no olans for EAX support for Vista. That will now be strictly OpenAL directed sorry to say. The lack of support for sound period in Linux has been one reason why I tend to shy away from having a few distros running already. Some hardwares are now seeing Linux drivers at the manufacturers's support sites. That's only since the numbers of Linux users demanding driver support has increased over the years.

bumblebee_tuna

The Audigy 4 Pro now used here tops the older Audigy 2 ZS Gamer used on the last build. But the Sound Blaster days are going to be over sometime.

Creative has no olans for EAX support for Vista. That will now be strictly OpenAL directed sorry to say. The lack of support for sound period in Linux has been one reason why I tend to shy away from having a few distros running already. Some hardwares are now seeing Linux drivers at the manufacturers's support sites. That's only since the numbers of Linux users demanding driver support has increased over the years.

I actually don't care TOO much about no EAX support for Vista; I rarely use it anyway excpet for games like BF2 and F.E.A.R. and some other older games.......

PC eye

banned
Creative has an OpenAL patch available along with some Vista drivers now seen for the Audigy line of cards. Besides the initial wait for beta replacement drivers sound settings not sound has been the problem with HL2 while Fear and Prey have done ok. Older games like RTCW and SOF I+II have been actually performed the best due to being less involved in the sound area.