X-Mas Motherboard shopping...need help!!

xXbethXx

Hi. Just joined the forum today- i need some help with the new core i7 motherboards!
My boyfriend wants one for christmas, as well as ram. he already had the cpu (he pre-ordered it when they were 1st announced)...he briefly mentioned the MSI Platinum, but I'm not sure if it is the best option...
I was looking on TigerDirect.com. (Link)
It seems like it only supports ATI?? I was under the impression that it did both ati and nvidia...am I wrong...?
To my knowledge, here's the hardware he currently has:

3 sata hdd's
1 eide hdd
2 nvidia 260gtx graphics cards
1 bfg physx card
2 sata dvd burners
a water cooling system

should i get him this motherboard? or a different one? and reccommendations would be great (hoping to stay under $300 if possible).

Thanks so much everyone! Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong spot...I don't know too much about this stuff, but I really want to get him this for christmas.

Thanks! :p

xXbethXx

well first off... i am really jealous. you are going to spend over 200 bucks for your bf. wow. if you guys ever split up i am available

haha, yea...he's spoiled;)

and thanks!

Anyone know if a Physx card goes in the pci slot, or the pci express x16 slot? Sorry, I can't come right out and ask him these things...it's a bit obvious:)

ScOuT

VIP Member
Here is the link for the Physx drivers.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_8.06.12_whql.html

From what I have read and understand it is built in the new Nvidia cards. In the past you did need a seperate card running with the main graphics card.

I tried to do research but there are many open ended articles.

Please correct me if I am wrong anybody.

bigd54

where do you live, if you live in america, i would recommend http://www.newegg.com/ as for the motherboard, this is what i recommend: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131346 oh, and ask him if he wants/plans to use more than one graphics card, as far as i know it supports both sli and crossfire

That is a great motherboard but I have heard fantastic things about ths EVGA one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188039

scooter

banned
Either ASUS or EVGA

x58 supports both ati and nvidia (some are like crosfire & quad sli)

I would recommend the ASUS P6T-Deluxe (oc palm)

xXbethXx

Thanks so much everyone! a couple weeks ago newegg had a combo deal- you could get the asus motherboard, cpu, and ram for like $500ish. i cant seem to find that deal anymore...if anyone knows where i can get that again (or something around that price), could you post a link?? I dont really even need the cpu (he has the core i7 cpu already), just the motherboard & ram. I really wish I had ordered it then.

@ just_a_noob-- yes, he already has sli. I assume he'd like to keep it- i can't see him going back to just one gpu.

thanks everyone! you've been a huge help!

scooter

banned
Thanks so much everyone! a couple weeks ago newegg had a combo deal- you could get the asus motherboard, cpu, and ram for like $500ish. i cant seem to find that deal anymore..

There is no way it was a core i7 deal (mobo, cpu, ram) for $500.00, but in any event if you only need mobo and ram then..

Get the Asus P6T-Deluxe for $299.99

and decide on a 3GB ram kit or 6GB ram kit

just a noob

the board i recommended does support multi gpu(both ati and nvidia) oh, and check ebay, i know if you go to a reputable seller(like mwave for instance) you can get 30% cash back through paypal(this was when i last checked) seems to me theres a thread on it around here also

xXbethXx

There is no way it was a core i7 deal (mobo, cpu, ram) for $500.00, but in any event if you only need mobo and ram then..

Yea, you're right my bad. I just googled it-- it was just a motherboard & cpu- the ram was seperate.

----

@ just_a_noob--- thanks for mentioning mwave. I've never bought anything from them, but their website looks promising :) I checked ebay-- but most people seem to be selling them for more than I could buy it on newegg for. lol:confused: