X16 or x8

gubrother

Hi i was wondering if
EVGA Intel X58 SLI3 Motherboard 131-GT-E767-TR running dual sli will both have x16 on both slots if not then i will get

ASUS Rampage III Gene Motherboard
Thx if u can help

CrayonMuncher

It Looks like the evga has three slots one will be x16 and two are x8 thats what the evga website says.
the rampage will run two at x16, or one at x16 two at x8 or 4 slots running at x8

jevery

ASUS or Gigabyte both have boards with 2 (or more) 16x slots. I didn't know there were any X58 boards with a single 16x slot.
why.gif

ScottALot

^Yes. Read the NewEgg page, it'll tell you all that info.

There isn't too much of a noticeable difference between x16 and x8 performance-wise, though.

jevery

Well, since I'm running one of mine at 8x for better temps, I feel better now. Previous articles have indicated a 4-5% performance loss for a 5870 CFX setup with one run at 8x. This (very thorough) testing indicates otherwise. Thanks for the article ScottALot.

BTW - My, "Yes it does" was directed at the OP's question - Not at the premise of 16x/8x doesn't make much difference performance wise.

Last edited:

ScottALot

Well, since I'm running one of mine at 8x for better temps, I feel better now. Previous articles have indicated a 4-5% performance loss for a 5870 CFX setup with one run at 8x. This (very thorough) testing indicates otherwise. Thanks for the article ScottALot.

There are certain instances where there can be that 4-5% performance loss, but most games/benchmarks have been rewritten to work better with both configurations.

jevery

Either board will have double slot GPUs right up against each other when in the 16x slots. With the Gigabyte you would have the option of moving the lower card down into an 8x slot if the top card overheats. You wouldn't have that option with the Rampage III.

gasgasy

We had previously used to test based on 975 chipset, and x8 x16, and x4 lane PCI Express slot offered. For obvious reasons, if you only have a single graphics card in your system can use, you to have the fastest PCI Express slot on the motherboard would like to use.