X2 5000 upgrade

Candlepally

Ok looking at low cost, Ive got two options here, one i found on craiglist one is from newegg.

I just had to replace my board, it finally died, an old MSI Nforce 6100 motherboard, I literly bought in 2006 when AM2 came out. Well its dead, so I bought an AM2+ board from the egg, not ready to part with my 2x2gb DDR2 1066 i bought 2 months ago. So I was looking around and found two possibilities here.

AMD Phenom X4 9650 (this is on craiglist asking $50 bucks for it)

the other is on newegg

AMD Athlon II X2 240 OEM

Now the board i got is this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130307

I'm limited to 95W CPU's though from reading around some folks have done decent overclocks with the Athlon II line. 50 bucks is of course my max here also, as Christmas is here and all.

So given those 2 choice's and the board or if you can find another chip in my price range AM2, AM2+ or AM3 thats 95W or lower and around 50 bucks ill also look at that.

To help I play WoW, CODWAW, and do 3d modeling with GMAX and texturing work with Photoshop 7

Also here are the spec as of current for yall

AMD Athlon X2 5000
MSI 770T-C35 AM2+ (Supports AM3 and ACC)
4gb DDR2 1066 (2x2gb G.Skill)
500gb SATA3 Seagate 7200.11
Galaxy Geforce GTS250 1gb
Corsair 620HX PSU

Last edited:

Candlepally

cmon any input my shop uses only intel stuff, don't play around with AMD much, but im sticking with them but been outta the AMD loop here lol

CrayonMuncher

well id say your best choice would be the quad core phenom, but it is second hand and i wouldnt say getting second hand is a good the best idea, especially over the internet.
i would say wait and try to get 27 bucks more and go for the Athlon II x3, then you can also try to unlock to a quad core.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avaSdC0QOUM&feature=artistob&playnext=1&list=TL9jvKWK_zA5M

If you have a heatsink and fan alreadly, Im not sure if the x2 5000 hs and fan is compatible, you can get the 2.7 Ghz x3 for 60 bucks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103725

Candlepally

actully got a little extra cash managed to sell 4 used laptops today not expected so instead looking at a Phenom II X3 715BE for 79.99 how does that sound, its OEM also lol

Candlepally

Went a diffrent Direction got the new board, but bought a Coolermaster Elite Black 430 and Fry's had the Athlon II X3 450 onsale for 60 + Tax so i did that instead, my Centurion Tac5 was getting a tad old lol.

It now reads AMD Phenom X4 B35 and is running stable at 4.1ghz @ 1.55V not to shabby, load temps in Prime95 Torture test say 57C so im not worried, overall quite pleased lol, I think my Graphics card is the bottleneck again

Edit.

Wasnt stable got it stable and now showing at an Phenom X4 B50 running at 1.53V, not to disapointing gonna run 3dmark again to see what happened, maybe now its time to OC my GPU since i might actully benefitlol

Last edited:

2048Megabytes

An Athlon II Quad-Core is quite a step up from an Athlon 5000+ Dual-Core Processor.

You reloaded all the right video drivers for your present system, correct?

Candlepally

yea, kinda, I also traded a budy 40 bucks + my GTS250 for his GTX275. He just bought a GTX470 and was gonna give the GTX275 to his brother but this worked out for him cause he gets cash, and his brother currently runs on a Geforce 8100 IGP so its a big step anyway for him lol.