X2 or FX???

idahoduk

I've been planning on installing a X2 3800 but I can pick up a FX-53 for just over $200 from a friend, I'm going to be using it primarly for gaming. Any opinions???

Geoff

VIP Member
fade2green514 said:
neither. get an opteron 165.
Unless your planning on overclocking alot, the Opteron 165 is a waste of money, and its also $30 more than an X2 3800+.

As for your original question, i would go with the X2 3800+. The FX-53 is fairly old. Also, the X2 3800+ outperforms the FX-53 in all multi-threaded games, and most single-threaded games.

34erd

The FX-53 is based on the 130 nm clawhammer core. The 3800+, in adition to be being dual core, will probably end up OCing around as high as the FX-53 because its based on a 90 nm core. Newer 3800+ steppings OC pretty much as well as optys, and the 10 X multi can be a benefit. Overall I'de say get the 3800+. Even without OCing its the way of the future.

idahoduk

This CPU is for my notebook so I don't think I'll be doing any overclocking because of heat (correct???) Thanks for the help. Looks like it's going to be the X2 and anouther $100.

DKdeadly

Get the fx60 i just got my system about 3 days ago and right now its works perfect there is not better cpu than this trust me ..

bigsaucybob

DKdeadly said:
Get the fx60 i just got my system about 3 days ago and right now its works perfect there is not better cpu than this trust me ..

We know that there isnt a better CPU than that. But we also know there is a thing called money in this world, and not everybody can throw down 1K for a processor.

fade2green514

34erd said:
The FX-53 is based on the 130 nm clawhammer core. The 3800+, in adition to be being dual core, will probably end up OCing around as high as the FX-53 because its based on a 90 nm core. Newer 3800+ steppings OC pretty much as well as optys, and the 10 X multi can be a benefit. Overall I'de say get the 3800+. Even without OCing its the way of the future.
actually the 3800+ has been gotten to 3ghz before (that ive seen, probably even higher) that it, with the right cooling. not to mention the fact that the fx-53 has much higher default voltage... meaning you can put less voltage into it, so less overclockability. (voltage = heat)
the dual core does hinder a bit... but not enough to matter if there's enough cooling thrown in there.. (say water? vapochill? good air cooling?)

Last edited:

fade2green514

bigsaucybob said:
We know that there isnt a better CPU than that. But we also know there is a thing called money in this world, and not everybody can throw down 1K for a processor.
there are better cpu's than that. say... the cell processor? (2teraflops beats 12gigaflops, the X2 4800+ was at 10gigaflops)
not to mention ive seen an x2 3800+ at 3ghz. that would be MUCH better than an fx-60

Last edited:

bigsaucybob

fade2green514 said:
there are better cpu's than that. say... the cell processor? (2teraflops beats 12gigaflops, the X2 4800+ was at 10gigaflops)
not to mention ive seen an x2 3800+ at 3ghz. that would be MUCH better than an fx-60

O ok so there are better cpu's than that. i was just making a point. That not everyone can go out and drop that much money.

MadModder

If your getting this for a notebook, I say neither. With either of those you'll severly cripple your battery time and heat.

idahoduk

It's going to be hot and I'll always have to stay within sight of an outlet but I need a true desktop replacement and it has to be AMD. I almost bought the 19in with the Turion but I have a motorcycle so that just didn't seem practicle. I'm trying to find a stand that will work for my lap as well as a desk so I won't burn mylegs, if anyone knows of anything like that I would like to check it out. Thanks for your help.

fade2green514

wait... let me get this straight... you're going to buy a better processor than the X2 3800+ for a laptop?
WHY??!
thats crazy... j
1. you're wasting your money
2. the fx-60 is the best processor at default settings... that you can buy... for most applications
people have overclocked past it though.

fade2green514

[-0MEGA-] said:
Unless your planning on overclocking alot, the Opteron 165 is a waste of money, and its also $30 more than an X2 3800+.

As for your original question, i would go with the X2 3800+. The FX-53 is fairly old. Also, the X2 3800+ outperforms the FX-53 in all multi-threaded games, and most single-threaded games.
actually the opteron 165 is a really good chip. it has double the cache even though it runs at 200mhz less, and its dual core runs alot cooler and much more stable.
the fx-53 would be alot better for single threaded apps.
get the X2 3800+ or something. too bad u got 939 pin, you could get a turion 64 chip that would like triple battery life with the same performance as athlon 64.. just not dual core.
btw you're right, youll have to always be looking at a power outlet, the battery will last you less than an hour i'll bet.
it's gonna get extremely hot with a dual core desktop processor and 7800gtx... wow. lol
that things gonna be almost as good as my desktop... better video card, worse processor... slower ram..

Last edited:

idahoduk

fade2green514 said:
wait... let me get this straight... you're going to buy a better processor than the X2 3800+ for a laptop?
WHY??!
thats crazy... j
1. you're wasting your money
2. the fx-60 is the best processor at default settings... that you can buy... for most applications
people have overclocked past it though.

I ordered an AMD X2 for my notebook. I didn't get the FX.