X2...the 3800+ and the 4200+

bigsaucybob

I would say yes.

Someone else will probably say, no because you can overclock the X2 3800+ to X2 4200+ speeds.

Then I would come back and say, but you could also overclock the X2 4200+ to X2 4600+ speeds.

Just spend the extra $30, it really is not that much money.

Ekim401

Yeah, it really isn't much. Well thanks, i'm not very familiar with overclocking; my PC won't let me...although it is ancient.

holyjunk

Ekim401 said:
Yeah, it really isn't much. Well thanks, i'm not very familiar with overclocking; my PC won't let me...although it is ancient.
Almost same specs for me except ram upgrade. What model is yours. Compaq 5000 series?

Ekim401

HP Pavillion 7955? (not positive on numbers) but i upgraded RAM, video card, sound card, PSU, HD's, DVD dirves, fan/hs...the works...oh yea, and the case :p

Ekim401

but the one im gettin an Athlon 64 X2 4200+, compatible mobo, 256mb PCI-e Geforce 6800 extreme edition and 1GB of ddr400 RAM...HUGE upgrade

Jet

VIP Member
The 6800XT is a downgraded version of the normal 6800. Don't buy it! If you want a cheap card, get the 7600GS, or more expensive, the X850XT or 7600GT.

bball4life

Jet said:
The 6800XT is a downgraded version of the normal 6800. Don't buy it! If you want a cheap card, get the 7600GS, or more expensive, the X850XT or 7600GT.
Ya its funny xt for nvidia is a downgraded version, but for ati its an upgraded version. And I would say it is worth the extra $30.

SC7

Doesn't the 4200+ also have a different (and better) core than the 3800+? It is funny how the XT is downgraded for nVidia, I almost fell into that trap before. XT sounds like it should be a higher version too. Anyway, I would say spend the extra $30, if your budget can handle it. Instead of upgrading, may I suggest a new build from scratch?

bball4life

SC7 said:
Doesn't the 4200+ also have a different (and better) core than the 3800+? It is funny how the XT is downgraded for nVidia, I almost fell into that trap before. XT sounds like it should be a higher version too. Anyway, I would say spend the extra $30, if your budget can handle it. Instead of upgrading, may I suggest a new build from scratch?
Seriously pretty soon it will be a new build, lots of upgrades waste money and limit performance because they are help back by the non-upgraded parts.

SC7

bball4life said:
Seriously pretty soon it will be a new build, lots of upgrades waste money and limit performance because they are help back by the non-upgraded parts.
Yea. BTW, one thing that makes me worry about going AMD myself now is that the Core 2 Duo incorporates VT and SSE4, and I really hate missing out on those kinds of technologies.

lethalforce

id say if you have a lot of experience with overclocking cpu's then don't waste the 30$ and overclock it to the 4200's speed, but if you don't have much experience in overclocking than just get the 4200+

bball4life

lethalforce said:
id say if you have a lot of experience with overclocking cpu's then don't waste the 30$ and overclock it to the 4200's speed, but if you don't have much experience in overclocking than just get the 4200+
No because you can spend the extra $30 and overclock it to 4600+ speeds.

lethalforce

bball4life said:
No because you can spend the extra $30 and overclock it to 4600+ speeds.
i know, I'm just giving him an option based on his choice's, he said nothing about a 4600 so i gave him the better option of the 2 not the 3

SC7

IIRC, he said he doesn't want to overclock. Even still, if you use that philosophy, the same still applies, if you spend that money and OC to 4200 speed, that be like saying, get the 4200, or spend $30 more and get the 4600.

lethalforce

oh i didnt see his post syaing he didnt want to ovrclock, and SC7 i get your point but thats also saying he could overclock on and on till where at an FX-57 which isnt what he wants, its either a 4200 or 4600 end of story, no other processor

m0nk3ys1ms

What you have to remember is that by chance, you might not be able to overclock up to the next CPU's speeds. IMO, the 4200+ would be the wisest choice.

bball4life

monkeysims said:
What you have to remember is that by chance, you might not be able to overclock up to the next CPU's speeds. IMO, the 4200+ would be the wisest choice.
agreed, its just if you use the logic that you can oc it to the next chips speed, then why not get teh next chip and oc it.