x299 what's going on???

H_L

I maybe living under a rock haha but is there a reason computer stores don’t stock alot of the x299 boards?? Some stores only have 3 or 4 to choose from but they have over 50 of the 1151 boards to choose from? Are the x299 no longer? I just checked one major store and they are out of stock on all x299 boards like what's going on am I missing something????

Cheers

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Its probably because you are in a different country. Newegg here in the USA has about 33 boards to choose from. You'll find that most other countries will carry more of the popular boards then the non popular. Meaning you'll see more socket 1151 then 2066.

H_L

Thankyou for your reply. yeh it's weird, I got a reply from a decent computer store and they said: "I have been trying to get X299 Board prices and stock, They are EOL and all distributors have some CPU’s but very low and no mainboards. Intel is not far from releasing their new Chipset and CPU line up for the next cycle"

Would this be true? It would make sense to why no one basically stocks them...... well in Australia.
What's next after x299? Is there a rough guess to when the new boards arrive?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The X299 chipset was released June of 2017 so its been almost 2 years. In fact they just had a refresh 4 quarter of 2018 so I really don't see a new chipset coming at least for another year or 2. Don't see anything online about whats next after x299.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Basin Falls Refresh came out literally in November 2018, and runs on the X299 chipset. Recent HEDT lineups from Intel really pushed that market for heavy professional use rather than for enthusiast consumers. Definitely not something I'd look into unless you need processors with more than 8 cores and tons of PCI-E lanes for add-in cards.