X2's or Opterons?

CompyGuy

Alright, I'm looking to upgrade my CPU and I have been doing some searching and snooping and Im thinking about going to the 3800+ X2, but I just wanna get a general idea.

Currently have:
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 2.2GHz Socket 939

Looking at:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103052
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103598

Wouldn't the duel core proc be faster for general use?
I honestly don't do too much gaming, if so its wow bf2 and such, now Im mainly getting into video editing.
I can't believe when i bought my Venice it was $267 :eek: It's still on my account with newegg.

Current comp
Asus A8V mobo
3500+ 2.2Ghz
4Gb Ram
Maxtor 250Gb (OS)
Maxtor 500Gb (storage)
Asus 6600 Nvidia Graphics card

Oh does anyone have a sure fire way to contact Asus? I spent 15min waiting on the phone, no one. Emailed.....nothing. :mad:Grrr.. theres something wrong with my mobo comes up USB overcurrent detected system will restart in 15 seconds.:confused:

Thanks!

PC eye

banned
For Asus support by email expect a long wait. If the board was just ordered rma it for a replacement or different model. That would be the first thing there. For the 939 Opterons you are talking to someone who was waiting for the Opteron 185 or FX-60 to come down in price to move into a top end dual core model. The Optis are still high, the FX-60 is no longer sold.

You may want to consider the 4200+ or higher model while the 3800+ is still good for stock use. That model runs at 2ghz while I'm moving up from the 3500+ here from 2.2ghz to 3ghz with an AM2 6000+ X2 for a work horse build. The dual core model will make things a little easier for video capturing.

CompyGuy

Im sorry i dont understand your post right now, maybe becasue the meds are kicking in and the walls are melting. or maybe becasue that wasnt what i was looking for in an answer.

sorry

PC eye

banned
The 3800+ while being a dual core model runs at 2ghz while the 3500+ has the slightly higher clock speed of 2.2ghz. For a new cpu besides simply going to a dual core model which will help with multitasking you still need a faster model to get the faster clock speed. Both of those models including the Opteron 145 are working in the opposite direction by going with a slower cpu speed overall. Moving upto a 2.4 or higher cpu clock is the thing to look at in order to see a faster cpu. The move here is in a larger jump from 2,2 to 3ghz.

PC eye

banned
Having a second core will free up cpu demand time on the primary core while moving you back .2ghz there approximately. The 3800+ isn't a bad model but that and the lower Opteron would be a step backwards. The Opty 165 is one that people oc while the 185 is the fastest stock model. When going to upgrade you want to go as good as possible by going faster and newer according to your budget.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Alright, I'm looking to upgrade my CPU and I have been doing some searching and snooping and Im thinking about going to the 3800+ X2, but I just wanna get a general idea.

Currently have:
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 2.2GHz Socket 939

Looking at:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103052
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103598

Wouldn't the duel core proc be faster for general use?
I honestly don't do too much gaming, if so its wow bf2 and such, now Im mainly getting into video editing.

If your just running single applications you wont see much difference between a Athlon 64 3500 vs. X2 3800, but if your running more than one the X2 3800 would be faster
As far as the Opteron, the Opteron 146 is just a single core at 2.0ghz. you would be better off staying with your 3500

PC eye

banned
The 3800+ won't be faster speedwise while seeing large apps run smoother at the slower cpu speed. The dual core process makes running larger apps easier by having a second core kick in to take some of the load. For seeing an actual speed increase moving into a faster 2.4, 2.6ghz model would then see a difference in that area. The move here is to AM2 where not only a faster 3ghz dual core cpu will be used but DDR2 800 memory over DDR400.

CompyGuy

heh well I was mainly looking at the 65 - 75 dollar tags on the 2 procs I picked out. If I change Procs, I gotta buy mobo and video card to go along with that. Not in my budget. Anyone wanna donate to the Get me new s*** fund? 8)

PC eye

banned
The Opteron line is more server geared while AMD offers 939 models. For a basic desktop the 3800+ X2 would be a good starter but you won't gain anything there unless you are running larger demanding apps or running several things at once. If you moved into a 2.2ghz dual core model then you would probably note some difference there over the single core model you have.

It seems the plans for running a dual core system here in 2007 will be seen afterall since the current was put together fast to replace an older bulid last year. After seeing the highest 939 Opteron stay up in price and the fastest model being a dual core pulled from the shelves namely the FX-60 it seemed wise to consider an upgrade that would include Vista into the mix. For upgrading the current build going for a faster dual core would be best for you there like the 4200+ X2 or higher model.