X3 720 Overclock/Heat

BlackFox1337

I just put a new system together with a x3 720. Gigabyte mobo (770amd), and with a Arctic Cooling freezer pro. My problem is i over clocked to 3.2 ( only increased multiplier to 16x) and my system is randomly rebooting. Seems to be during intensive tasks ( playing crysis ). I have a temp of 42C on easytune software. Anything i should be worried about? im assuming its a heat issue? any help would be appreciated.

Fatback

VIP Member
It's not a heat issue 42C is really good temps with an overclocked CPU. My guess is the CPU is unstable from being overclocked might won't to down clock a little to say 3Ghz then see if it sill does it. It could be a number of other things to like you GPU, PSU, RAM.

BlackFox1337

ahh ok. just want to be sure. i tried updating to newest bios but cant do it without a floppy drive. I did overclock the ram which is running at 1600. It is 1600 ram but it was at 1333 if that makes any difference. any benchmarks i can run to figure out what the problem is?

Fatback

VIP Member
ahh ok. just want to be sure. i tried updating to newest bios but cant do it without a floppy drive. I did overclock the ram which is running at 1600. It is 1600 ram but it was at 1333 if that makes any difference. any benchmarks i can run to figure out what the problem is?

I don't know of any programs like that there might be some out there but I have never known of any might wont to wait for some more replies to see if any body else know of one. The best thing to do is to down clock back to original settings and then see if the problem continues if it doesn't then you know what it was doing it if it still happens then then if might be you mobo.

Mr soft

That 720 will laugh at 3.2, you can take it easily to 3.4 before volt mods. I run mine at 3.2ghz default voltage and it does´nt break a sweat. Download everest and check your temps.

StrangleHold

Staff member
I just put a new system together with a x3 720. Gigabyte mobo (770amd), and with a Arctic Cooling freezer pro. My problem is i over clocked to 3.2 ( only increased multiplier to 16x) and my system is randomly rebooting. Seems to be during intensive tasks ( playing crysis ). I have a temp of 42C on easytune software. Anything i should be worried about? im assuming its a heat issue? any help would be appreciated.

Thats a little warm, but no bad. It could be your case air flow. I have my 4th. core enabled and overclocked to 3.5 and it idles at 35/36c. Sounds like you might need to bump up your CPU voltage a tad. But keep a eye on your temp.

If you dont have a floppy use Gigabytes @bios program. Download and save the latest bios. Start @bios and direct it to the saved bios update.