x58 motherboards, 3-way sli, will tv tuner and sound card both fit?

mar

Hi i have a question. I've been reading up on some new motherboards that support the new i7. x58 series.

Now this board that i'm looking at,

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4303010&CatId=4070

if i 3-way sli it, will i be able to fit in my tv tuner as well? Because the pci slot is in in between the 2 pci-e slots.

Here's another board i like, will i have to take of my sound card and tv tuner if i 3-way sli it?

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4306129&CatId=4070

Am i wrong? if im right why would they make boards like that

Last edited:

Intel_man

VIP Member
Depending on the size of your video card (dual slot or single slot) your TV Tuner may fit. But I highly doubt it as usually the 3 way SLi cards are mostly Dual slot cooling solutions. Unless you go liquid cooling... I don't see how you would be able to fit a TV Tuner.

They make boards like that because they provide you with a really really nice sound card. Much better than if you make it an onboard one.

mar

Let's say i have 3 daul slot cards,

You said that my tv tuner will probably not fit. Ok,

What about my audio card? On the second board, the audi card is in between the 2 pci-e slots, Would i have to take it out too if i have daul slot video cards?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
What about my audio card? On the second board, the audi card is in between the 2 pci-e slots, Would i have to take it out too if i have daul slot video cards?
The card in the picture is PCI Express so you could put it in the 1x slot above the video cards. Of the 2 boards, I think the MSI board has a much better layout if you are going to use 3x SLI.

edit nevermind, it's probably easier to reach more of the SATA ports on the asus board, I couldn't tell before but that blue block at the bottom is a bunch of SATA connectors.

Last edited:

mar

wait a second you totally lost me. SATA ports? What are those?

For the first board yea i can put the audio card at the top but for the second board. I do see a little back slot for the audio card but then that thing is in the way, i dont think it will fit,

i made a pic, you see the bronze thing looks like it would be in the way for the audio card to fit. Where would i put it?

Last edited:

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
You see those blue things in the picture you just posted labelled '4 SATA 3GB/s connectors'? ;) Unless you get a really old hard drive they are where you plug it in. A lot (all new ones?) of CD/DVD drives use them now too.

If the XiFi card fits in the top slot in one board it will fit in the other, the space is close to the same even if it doesn't look that way.

mar

You see those blue things in the picture you just posted labelled '4 SATA 3GB/s connectors'? ;) Unless you get a really old hard drive they are where you plug it in. A lot (all new ones?) of CD/DVD drives use them now too.

If the XiFi card fits in the top slot in one board it will fit in the other, the space is close to the same even if it doesn't look that way.

I went on the new egg site and i zoomed into the board and you're right! it will fit at the top

thanks for the help!

simpletron

if you go tri sli with a dual-slot cooler video card, the cooler on the bottom card will cover the ports and switches along the bottom of either board and you'll need a case with at least 8 expansion slots or mod your case to allow the last slot to vent to the outside. the only board that I know that doesn't have this problem is the evga one, but then you wouldn't be able to use either the tv or sound card.

just a noob

think of it this way, with 3 dual slot cards, you're going to use up six slots, so that leaves just one slot above all the cards, unless you switch over to single slot watercooling or something, then no, it would be one or the other

linkin

VIP Member
He could always make the card in the first slot a single slot cooler or jsut watercool it and leave the others on air.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jamin43

banned
Let's say i have 3 daul slot cards,

You said that my tv tuner will probably not fit. Ok,

Probably not.

The SLI cards will probably take up 2 slots each - and from the looks of it - the only pci express video slot left will be blocked by your MOBO heatsink. I wasn't able to use my pciex1 slot - for my tv tuner. I ended up putting it into a pciex16 slot and it works fine.

You could still use a USB tv tuner though.