x64/longhorn

Geoff

VIP Member
Longhorn is expedted to be released mid-2006.

That is the 64BIT version of windows, it takes advantage of the AMD 64 and the Intel 64 bit processors (Ex. AMD Athlon 64, Intel XEON, Intel Exteme)

OS Dragon

I heard that it will be realease the in second half of 2006. Maybe their hoping that it will become the best selling christmas present :p But I would but and money on it!

NeuromancerWGDD'U

Sadly it seems that for me it will be another lonely expanse of years sitting around with Windows 98, just waiting for a decent version of Windows to be released again. Last I heard of Longhorn, they were slicing off a bunch of the coolest and most useful features for the stupid reason of getting it out on schedule. Recently Windows seems to be 5% Operating System, and 95% idiot-proofing. They need to get around to releasing an advanced-user operating system. I'm sick of spending years finding and disabling various idiot-proofing measures that sap my performance and clutter my screen when I want to do anything that requires more than pressing a button.

aramp1

X64

You can get a trial version of Windows XP Professional X64 for free. It only lasts for six months though.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Recently Windows seems to be 5% Operating System, and 95% idiot-proofing. They need to get around to releasing an advanced-user operating system
IT's that way because it has to be that way ... most people arent computer savvy

aboynamedmatt

I know you can trade in your Windows XP Pro for a version of the 64 bit version, I wonder if you'll be able to do that when the longhorn version comes out. I'm thinkin about tradin mine in for the 64 bit, its supposed to load games faaasssttt.

Geoff

VIP Member
it only loads games faster if you have a 64bit processor, and im 99% sure you cant trade a winxp in for the new longhorn, thats like trading in windows ME for windows XP.