X64 Vista

fade2green514

i say leave it how it is, vista x64 really isn't that demanding of an operating system, what is demanding though is games. if you had less than 2gb of ram that might be the first thing i would suggest, but you have 2gb of ram. even 512mb of ram is enough to run vista, just not as fast.

what types of applications do you run? i.e. dvd burning, video conversion, song conversion, .. and if any what games do you play? maybe photoshop or just watching movies? high definition movies?

PC eye

banned
2gb of memory is very much a good idea even for XP while many elect to add another 1gb dimm in for a 32bit edition of Vista. Others simply run a 64bit edition thinking 4gb or more will see some large performance gain that never comes about since games and desktop apps in general are designed around what will run on a prebuilt system.

fade2green514 has a good question there since any larger programs along with background tasks for things like antivirus, system processes in general, and other things tend to get away. With something like CAD seeing an increase of memory up from 2gb would be the thought while most desktops will run even the 64bit editions with that amount installed.

gobble412

Well, the whole reason I really want to upgrade to X64 Bit Vista is becuase I heard that it increases game performance. I have already done a clean install of X64 on my computer, and I don't see much of a difference, other than my CPU dragging some and more RAM being used for applications, but I aslo upgraded to Ultimate Version, so that could also have something to do with it. I'm basically just upgrading for better game, and all around better performance. My computer is not really a bad computer. It's fast, and the only minor complaint I have is about the not-so-good graphics card, but I still would like it faster(like close to NO load times), and I just want to get awesome performance out of it, and these parts I want will definitely help with that.

By the way, the games I'm planning on playing are HL2, Oblivion, Crysis, and basically just games that have higher needs than what I'm currently capable of providing (However, HL2 runs very smoothly on fairly high settings on my computer). As for the types of functions, I convert videos, burn DVDs, watch videos, play music while running other applications, and things in those categories.

Last edited:

jdbennet

no no no

64 bit does not increase game performance. It does not simply make things faster, what it does is make them wider in a sense, by increasing the amount of addressable memory. If you need 4gb+ of ram, then 64 bit is the way, if not, then you will notice to benefits.

gobble412

I see, and I'm glad you cleared that up, but I could use the extra RAM so I'm still glad that I upgraded. Now, I just need to buy the RAM lol.

PC eye

banned
I ran HL2 here with a 2.2ghz cpu and a low end card while having the game details set high with both XP and Vista Home Premium when first released. That was simply with 2gb of Kingston ValueRam DDR400 memory then.

Seeing the 64bit edition of HP go on then or wouldn't have made or make any difference performance wise as far as 32bit games are concerned. Neither will 4gb of memory see any big gain while it will likely see the Ultimate edition run a bit smoother there.

Increasing memory from 1gb upto 2gb however will make a large difference in XP as well as Vista however. That was noticed when a pair of 512mb Corsair xms performance dimms were replaced with simply a pair of 1gb Kingston ValueRam dimms. When replacing the Home Premium 32 with Ultimate 64 besides the platform change you also saw more built in feature seen in that edition.

gobble412

Well, I pretty much know everything I need to get my computer running nicely. I have to thank everyone who posted here, especially PC eye. Again, thanks a whole lot everyone!

Twist86

Just incase no one said it.

If your going to upgrade make sure your board can handle the wats of your chip.

I have seen a few idiots now buy the 125w windsors only to have their transistors fry from it.

My board is the same can run a low end 95w quad but anything higher would destroy it.

fade2green514

again, what games do you play? if they use direct X 10 then you will want to use vista. as far as 64/32bit it won't make a huge difference unless you need more than 3-4gb of ram at any given time.

gobble412

@Twist86: Then, should I upgrade my motherboard? Cause the chip I want is one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103290&Tpk=AMD Athlon 6400 and it says that it has 125w thermal power. Or is my board able to run it? If my board can't run it, and you don't reccommend me getting a new board, then is there another great processor that my board could run?

@bomberboysk: I have noticed this, and Best Buy's prices aren't really overpriced, they are Ridiculously overpriced!

@ Fade2green514: I have posted the games I am planning to play, above.

fade2green514

with those games, and considering the fact that you like to convert videos and burn dvds i highly suggest you upgrade it.

quad core would benefit you greatly and 4gb of ram would as well.

sorry i didnt read your whole post, you went off into a rant and put the important stuff in the paragraph below it. lol

gobble412

Lol. Yeah, I tend to do that sometimes. Sorry about that.

But thanks for the input. By the way, if you have any info regarding the post above yours, the one directed at Twist, then could you please give me an opinion or something on what I should do?

Last edited:

fade2green514

upgrading the motherboard is a good idea, but you might as well go with intel then.

personally, i think buying computers from HP or DELL is a waste of time if you want to do any modding or upgrading of your own.

gobble412

Okay, then could you please give me a link or reccommend a model of motherboard? I would research myself, but I don't have a lot of time on my hands at the moment. And, why should I upgrade to Intel? I read that the processor that I have listed is much better than any current Intels. If I am wrong, please link me or refer me to another processor that goes with the new board, and is better than the one I have listed.

And, I agree that buying computers such as HP, Dell, Gateway, etc. are a waste. It's much better to either build or get total and complete customization.

Last edited: