x64 vs x86? What is this

Jamin43

banned
My printer took a while to get working with Win 7 Fresh install - but eventually it got working < not sure how I got it to >

Now it's stopped working as a printer. I can still scan - and copy - but it won't print from my PC.

After jumping around the hardware menus - the only thing I could find that might fix it at the moment is I have x64 drivers. I think my PC is x86 drivers - but not quite sure. I've got a core i7 system - and this terminology is somewhat foreign to me.

Can anybody help fill in my knowledge gap?

Thanks

Twist86

Well x86 = 32bit and x64 = 64 bit operating system.

Depends on your operating system they came in both x86 and x64....does it show 6GB of ram in your "Windows Index"? aka right click computer and go to properties. The best way to find out if your 32 bit or not without going into detail :p
32 bit will only show 3.25GB of ram or so...while 64 bit can support a ungodly amount of ram thus will show your full 6GBs of ram.

*edit*
by 6GB I am assuming you have at least 3x2GB kits as the I7 does the tri-channel setup.

If you have a x64 system then it doesn't matter...both x86 and x64 drivers will work on it. If you have x86 then you can't use x64 drivers (and it shouldn't allow you to install it either)

Last edited:

Twist86

Yep which means either drivers will work...just to be safe try the x64 if they don't work then we will move from there.

Hi,
The term x86-64 is the original naming of a 64-bit extension to the x86 instruction set specified by AMD and implemented by AMD, Intel, VIA, and others. It extends the virtual and physical address spaces, doubles the width of the integer registers from 32 to 64 bits, increases the number of integer registers, and provides other enhancements.

Thanks