[xbitlabs] NVIDIA GTX400 Series Yields at 20-30%

Status
Not open for further replies.

just a noob

Even though Nvidia Corp. commercially released its GeForce GTX 400-series roughly six months after the first public demonstration and had to disable parts of the chips to ensure higher supply, financial analysts from Needham and Company claim that Nvidia only has about ten thousand of Fermi-series chips on the market at the moment and that the yields of Fermi chips is between 20% and 30%.

“We are downgrading Nvidia to a “hold” and removing our 12-month price target (was $22) after a series of channel checks indicating that Fermi is not ramping well and there could be further product delays. Based on our findings, Nvidia has very limited supply of Fermi desktop/notebook parts and yields remain poor at around 20-30%,” analyst Rajvindra Gill wrote in a note to clients.

In a bid to improve yields of the code-named GF100 chip (NV60, GT300, G300), Nvidia disabled 32 out of 512 stream processors even on flagship GeForce GTX 480 graphics board, however, after the product was formally launched on the 12th of April, it is still rarely available and where it is in stock, it costs much more than its recommended price of $499.

Considering the fact that Nvidia GF100 chip – which powers both GeForce GTX 470 and GTX 480 graphics boards and will eventually power the Tesla C2000-series computing cards – consists of 3.1 billion of transistors and is made using TSMC’s 40nm process technology known for its insufficient yields, it is not a surprise that Nvidia cannot ship enough modern DirectX 11-supporting graphics processing units (GPUs) to compete successfully with its arch-rival ATI, graphics business unit of Advanced Micro Devices. Since Nvidia’s top-of-the-range GeForce GTX 480 has not managed to recapture performance leadership from ATI Radeon HD 5970 and is also not widely available, the halo effect of the advanced product launch will not be significant

The analyst from Needman believes that the potential delays of other chips from the Fermi family will inevitably mean additional design wins for ATI, which will lead to further market share loss by Nvidia. Recently ATI already announced that it had shipped over six milion DirectX 11 graphics processors since late September, meanwhile, according to Rajvindra Gill, Nvidia has supplied less than ten thousand of its GF100 chips.

“We believe Nvidia could lose market share starting in [the second half of 2010], face a more challenging pricing environment and/or experience potentially lower gross margins,” said the analyst.

Nvidia declined to comment on the information.

Source

Ryeong

If anyone has any question regarding 480 you might want to speak to a person who has the card, like me.

My clocks: OVERCLOCKED!

myclocks.png

Here is my idle temp 30 sec after 75 min's messing around in heaven 2.0 with max tesselation: (75%) fan speed
tempsf.png

Here is my idle temp 1.5 min later: (75% fan speed)
temps2.png

This is my temps now, 5 min later: (75% fan speed)
temps3.png

I've started to belive that somone paid the reviewers to erhm mix up the temps a bit. People said fermi was at 55c idle lmao.. 75% fan speed with this card is less noisy then my old 275's in sli on 60%.

Ryeong

I'm glad you understand your own situation. Honestly, you have done nothing else in this forum for the past weeks than picking on Nvidia. I know you might not afford it, but please don't let this affect us other users that cares for fantastic GPU's. Go and troll somewhere else..

Last edited by a moderator:

just a noob

I'm glad you understand your own situation. Honestly, you have done nothing else in this forum for the past weeks than picking on Nvidia. I know you might not afford it, but please don't let this affect us other users that cares for fantastic GPU's. Go and troll somewhere else..

Oh Please, I can't afford it? Seeing that I've had 2 gtx 285's, and still have an x58 classified plus an i7 920 and a watercooling setup, I think I could afford it if I wanted to

Gabe63

I bought and returned the GTX470, it ran way too hot. I am no fan of either but there is no way the high temps are good for anything in my computer.

I did think the game play was decent though. I would buy another nvidia card if they could get them temps under control.

Like it or not you should be able to run a GPU fan in auto and not make everything so hot in the entire case that it cannot be touched, just like my 5870 or 5850. Even my case got so hot I could not touch the back of it. The card even came with a warning not to touch it for 15 minutes after gameplay.

Ryeong

I bought and returned the GTX470, it ran way too hot. I am no fan of either but there is no way the high temps are good for anything in my computer.

I did think the game play was decent though. I would buy another nvidia card if they could get them temps under control.

Like it or not you should be able to run a GPU fan in auto and not make everything so hot in the entire case that it cannot be touched, just like my 5870 or 5850. Even my case got so hot I could not touch the back of it. The card even came with a warning not to touch it for 15 minutes after gameplay.

Here is my idle temp 30 sec after 75 min's messing around in heaven 2.0 with max tesselation: (75%) fan speed
tempsf.png

Here is my idle temp 1.5 min later: (75% fan speed)
temps2.png

This is my temps now, 5 min later: (75% fan speed)
temps3.png

Drenlin

^ Will you stop posting that? You're posted that twice no the same page in two different threads.

It shouldn't even take 30 seconds for it to cool back down after being stressed.

Ryeong

^ Will you stop posting that? You're posted that twice no the same page in two different threads.

It shouldn't even take 30 seconds for it to cool back down after being stressed.

The main point is "the fact" <- (yes this time) that it does NOT idle at 55-60c as many people stated.

Ryeong

Also, provided you read anything in the first post, this is about availability, not how the card runs.

You posted a video of some bugs, lol, that got fried. Isn't that some sort of subliminal message? xD.. oh well, i'm not going to start anything unnecessary i just want the Gabe63 guy to stop stalking me.

Gabe63

You posted a video of some bugs, lol, that got fried. Isn't that some sort of subliminal message? xD.. oh well, i'm not going to start anything unnecessary i just want the Gabe63 guy to stop stalking me.

Truth hurts; you need to hide so your fantasy won’t be exposed. Just stop posting your fantasy and I won’t have to correct your incompetence.

Ryeong

Truth hurts; you need to hide so your fantasy won’t be exposed. Just stop posting your fantasy and I won’t have to correct your incompetence.

I've forwarded this to the mods. I don't want to write to you any more because the sense in your replies has vanished totally.

Gabe63

Can I join your fan club? Oh wait, I am an adult, with a brain...

Ryeong, founding member of the UABWLN fan club.

U= under
A= aged
B= boys
W= who
L= love
N= nvidia

Keep up the good dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.